Author Topic: manure now?  (Read 2008 times)

oubykh

• Half Acre
manure now?
« on: September 24, 2008, 22:19:14 »
Just checking, theres no reason why i cannot put manure onto the areas i'm clearing of this years crops, ready for next year is there?, not to early is it? :-\   (its rotted and bagged currently.)

Buster54

• Acre
Re: manure now?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:16:26 »
I am in the process of doing exactly that and 3 of my allotment neighbors I started last month on a small plot then as I clear another gonna do the same then leave it till Jan to dig over.
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:37:35 »
Was wondering the same. Will spread mine in the next couple of weeks. Then I can give Granddaughter the empty bags ready for her to fill again :) The supply will come from her horse Spirit who got placed 2nd in 2 events recently in her first show.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:44:54 »
You wanna make sure its well rotted Lorna as putting fresh horse manure on will only create a nice meadow for you next year  :-*
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 19:28:27 »
thats great, i thought should be okay, i need alot more than i have currently got, apparently its had none for about 5 years!!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 20:04:55 »
Just had four ton of good rotted  farmyard manure delivered at the weekend , I will be spreading it the first opportunity I get this week :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 20:18:12 »
Buster54 the bags I am going to use have been standing since end of last year so hopefully it will be suitable. When the bags are refilled they will stand for next autumn. I only learnt fron A4A members that the manure should be well rotted. Parents don't always know best ::) ::) my Dad would send us out with a bucket to collect from the milkmans horse, milkman would always stop on the end of our road to go in a neighbours for a cuppa. Dad would put the horse manure straight round his tom plants!!!!

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 22:01:01 »
Just had four ton of good rotted  farmyard manure delivered at the weekend , I will be spreading it the first opportunity I get this week :)

will you be leaving on top now or forking in?

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 22:11:52 »
I pile the manure on thick, cover with black plastic and weight it down and leave my new friends, the worms, do the work for me  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 18:32:34 »
Ouby, because the allotment has not had any muck on for four years I will be spreading it on by fork then going over with the rotovator then spreading another layer on top which will not be touched untill next year :)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 18:46:03 »
Hopefully (mainly because I organized it!),our local farmer will start dropping loads of "muck" off this coming weekend.

Cant speak for others but in my case the muck will be "dug in" as I go along.I have tried the other methods but this one suits me better.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 17:39:32 »
Tomorrow is the first time that I have had the chance to spread my muck, hope the weather holds out,  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal