Produce > Chillies Ahoy

scotch bonnet

(1/4) > >>

thifasmom:
so i happily have grown 2 plants this year and want them to last as long as possible i was going to cut them down as suggested, but was not sure of when to do so, i assumed it was to be done around now, to hopefully get fresh peppers by Christmas.

last week Wednesday i harvested all of the ripe fruits off of both plants to make hot pepper sauce, leaving the green ones for a second harvest which i hope to make pepper jelly with.

but early last week i noticed both plants have started flowering again. so where do i go from here? do i let it flower and grow, should i feed them or should i after the next harvest simply cut the plant down ???.

oh! and one more question, whats the green grub that's eating my peppers, i have only found them on the plant that's giving yellow ripe fruits, i am assuming they are from a moth, as that's the only thing that would sort of stay in the house :-\.

caroline7758:
That sauce looks great- can we have the recipe, please? :D

thifasmom:

--- Quote from: caroline7758 on September 22, 2008, 17:56:39 ---That sauce looks great- can we have the recipe, please? :D

--- End quote ---

i got approx 1.5 lbs of peppers i added two small onions, a bulb of garlic and a 4 inch piece of ginger with enough olive oil to blend it, after decanting into jars i covered with a layer of oil. that's it really.

dtw:
How long does it keep for?

thifasmom:

--- Quote from: dtw on September 22, 2008, 20:49:44 ---How long does it keep for?

--- End quote ---

hopefully for as long as we want, normally i would make with vinegar which keeps for what seems to be forever, but i tried with oil this time as when i leave whole chillies in oil once the oil remains over the chili for at least 6 months the chili does not grow any mold. we currently have some hot pepper sauce made by a overseas relative in the fridge so when that's done we'll start to use my own. so it should keep till i open it but i will keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't start to get mouldy. if it does i will remove the mould, top up the oil and keep in the fridge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version