Author Topic: Apache  (Read 5648 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Apache
« on: September 21, 2008, 17:42:55 »
I have grown these for the first time this year. Most of the fruit are tiny- lall less than an inch long even by the time they go red, and many much smaller. Is this normal?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Apache
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 19:20:28 »
Not one I've got Caroline but are they something like these?

If so yes that's what you get...  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 19:44:30 »
Can't quite tell the scale of those, saddad, but probably! And maybe just as well- OH used a little one in a salsa tonight and it was VERY strong!

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 20:04:06 »
Not on my growing list this year Caroline, but I've done a bit of looking around and the general answer is that the pods should reach 7 cm

pennsylvannia planters

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 20:15:22 »
We have 2 apache plants on the go.
Be it green or red they are chuffin hot. :o
Going to have a go at making chillie oil tomorrow.
I am very impressed with the quality and taste.
My biggest are also about 1inch in length.

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 20:40:40 »
chuffin!  ;D what a great word! not heard in it ages! watch out for those chuffin Apaches!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 20:54:08 »
Think mine was a twilight... they are small about an inch long...

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 21:20:32 »
The NuMex Twighlights are stunners! loads of different colours on the same plant, nice and bushy with heavy yields too

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:30:03 »
Apache F1 is a hybrid bred for window sill / patio. It's one of my favourite varieties and I've been growing them for about 5 years. 7 cm seems a bit long. I've found the fruit are usually pretty consistent in size and about 4-6cm long and more blunt ended / cartridge shaped / cylindrical than e.g. jalapenos or cayenne. 

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=Apache&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

Saddad's plant is probably a Numex Twilight (a Bolivian Rainbow is similar but has smaller fruit).

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:37:28 »
Here's an Apache a couple of weeks after it's winter haircut.

[attachment=1]

Not very pretty!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 17:03:00 »
I grew apache and found they over-wintered well.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 17:55:37 »
Sorry I forgot it's first name.... yes it was Numex...  :-X

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 19:12:14 »
Hey! An Apache thread! It's taken me a long, long time to come across this :-[

I've needed to get the tape measure out, but yes, all mine in previous years have come in at 4-6cm...this year tho, because of a late start & the cold? I've had a sparse crop from just 2 plants in pots and the largest has been....sob...4cm or thereabouts.....and that has been the largest! :o

Thank goodness for the frozen hunnerd or so from last year 8)

Over-wintering. Want to give it a try even tho I managed to snaffle a couple of packets of Apache seeds at Wyvale's when their Sale was on...

So....reduce watering & cut back to the stem, more or less? Bring in the house, then.....what? Keep in a warm spot in the light, water sparingly then start feeding when the growth shows a spurt....or what, please? And if an over-wintered plant succeeds to mature to new branches (after, presumably, putting back outside in the 'house?).....what's the earliest one can expect flowers/fruit? And finally....is it really worth it?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 22:58:22 »
Lish.............as a matter of interest - did you get the two plants from the seeds I sent you? I thought you had no germination at all and felt real bad about it  :(.

Tricia

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 09:07:05 »
Hello Trish, no, your kindly sent seeds didn't germinate :'( Stephan stepped in with some spares & I got my two plants from his. This year, tho, I snaffled up a couple of packets from Wyvales sale, as I've said, so if you'd like some for next year, just ask, eh?

Now then...to over-wintering them indoors, anyone? It's getting cold in the greenhouse at night now and I'll bring them indoors today.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 12:04:46 »
A few weeks back I got 3 packets from Wyevale (for 50p each). Only 6 seeds per packet but I've a small number spare if anyone wants a few.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 22:42:38 »
I didn't grow Apache this year but had overwintered two Peppadew plants indoors. I have just cut the stems back again to about a foot and they will reside in front of my patio windows all winter. I'm hoping they will do as well next year. They'll get a half dose of tomato fertiliser once a month when they show signs of regrowth increasing to once a week in the Spring. The Peppadews started to flower very early. I've had quite a good harvest and have been able to offer seeds on Swap Shop to quite a few people.

I harvested the last ten chillies today and the seeds are drying on a kitchen towel, so I still have a few if anyone would like them.

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal