Author Topic: Chillies Ahoy  (Read 79250 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Chillies Ahoy
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2008, 10:38:22 »
You've just saved me £15.   ;D

G x

More money for seeds then?  ;)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2008, 15:58:09 »
More money for seeds then?  ;)

LOL!  You know me too well.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 22:04:30 »
hi biscombe
great website. i have grown both the demon red and priare fire and will say that you get a lot more chillies from the demon red. i even overwintered a demon red last year and it did really well. have you ever tried to grow tepin. i tried this this season. the planr grew big but didnt get any flowers on at all. you might want tocheck oot "chorley chilli man". just type the name into google and have a look if you havent already. he doe chilli cheese and chilli beer and chilli chocolate. good luck with the project
takes over your life doesn't it

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 21:27:58 »
Sounds as if there might be experts here - I'm a mere enthusiast  ;D - so I'll describe the problem I had last season: among other things in my greenhouse were tomatoes and chillis. The tomatoes caught blight, and the chillis soon showed very similar symptoms, brown blotches on the stems and the leaves fell off, but it didn't affect the fruit although obviously no more were produced after the leaves went. Could the two be connected? Four varieties of chilli were involved - apache, cayenne, caliente and Iranian round and all were affected to the same degree.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2008, 15:56:19 »
Hi Geoff,

Just back from hols. They've been grown near tomatoes that have developed blight, but the only time my chillis have shown those symptoms is when they've got too cold, otherwise no ideas.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2008, 16:50:42 »
Barnowl is right, my chillies that are still out in the cold (not over wintering!) have the same symptoms 

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 16:56:18 »
Thanks weedgrower! I'l have a look now! I sell chilli chocolate too, It's delicious! Dark bitter chocolate followed by the warm glow, can't beat it!

Chilli chocolate being made!
Mauricio the chocolate maker

Home made power going in!

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2008, 01:17:25 »
Thanks for your replies. I thought it was a long shot that the two were connected.
 Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2009, 12:43:33 »
Hi,

All of my chillies have sprouted lovely much to my surprise. I planted a few more as i have managed to plant carrots/lettece wrong so far (Very new to growing).

But now i have 20 that need to be transplanted into larger pots packet is saying 1 to a 4 inch pot but was wondering if i could plant say 2-3 in a larger pot or are they better off on there own. They will be going outdoors eventually so will need transplanting to a patio planter when the weather is warmer.

Giving one to my nan and one to my sister just hope they fruit and well think i'll be eating chillies for a while  ::)

Thanks lucy

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 12:46:27 »
oopppps cant even post in the right place today  :-\

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2009, 15:42:29 »
First time I have had a look into this thread it was your request to Saddad that brought me in.

Must say I am no chilli expert I only grow them for my son and son in law who both have asbestos lined mouths ::)

So here is my offering for what it is worth;

wondering if i could plant say 2-3 in a larger pot

I wouldn't reccomend it it is best to go up in increments i.e. 3"to 4">etc.

After this stage then it is OK to up two or three to a 10" pot

Then variety can play a big part too.

If they are only going to grow to around 12" high at maturity then a 5"/6" pot should do.

If they grow to around 36"+ then they may want a 10" pot to themselves.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Chilli/Chilli.htm

I hope that helps.......I now await the response from the experts 8)

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2009, 16:04:34 »
I'd agree with TG. Before I use root trainers the best results were to pot on several times until the correct pot size for the plant was reached. As TG says compacts are ok in around 6" pots and larger bushes will need around 9"-10" pots. I can't think of any that would need anything larger there may well be other opinions out there :)

I've grown two (of the same type) to a pot, but if you plant two or more in the same pot their roots will get tangled and make it difficult to separate them later. Together they will need to end up up in a larger pot than they would as separate plants.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2009, 13:42:18 »
we grew some hot chilies from a chili fruit which we bought at the greengrocer about 5 years ago and have collected the seed ever since

when we have too many we put them into jars with olive oil and they last for ever and the oil is HOT HOT HOT  too!

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 00:13:22 »
Hello daxzen, great to hear you have an old reliable chili and are saving seeds.
Do be careful with chillies and oil though, a recipe for Botulism! better to use dry chillies in oil.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 11:02:51 »
Hello daxzen, great to hear you have an old reliable chili and are saving seeds.
Do be careful with chillies and oil though, a recipe for Botulism! better to use dry chillies in oil.

Thanks Biscombe I never realised that

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 14:42:50 »
Some people heat the chillies and /or oil before bottling.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 15:23:23 »
Some people heat the chillies and /or oil before bottling.

Thats a good tip - thanks  ;D   Just need the new crop now......

Benson

• Not So New ...
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2009, 15:51:59 »
hello, have just returned to Italy from a grey week in UK and my chillies have gone bananas so to speak, have far too many to eat now, whats the best way to keep them, I am sure I read somewhere that you can freeze them whole?? Also have loads of small green peppers, ideas for them too!!

thanks

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2009, 16:46:13 »
hello, have just returned to Italy from a grey week in UK and my chillies have gone bananas so to speak, have far too many to eat now, whats the best way to keep them, I am sure I read somewhere that you can freeze them whole?? Also have loads of small green peppers, ideas for them too!!

thanks

Hi Benson

Yes, you can freeze them whole.  I just put any surplus into freezer bags.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 12:42:53 »
I saved some seeds from bought chillies and have just planted them, does this work or is it a waste of time
should I buy some more.
any views ?
Live life to the full, this is not a rehearsal

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal