Author Topic: Chillies Ahoy  (Read 79265 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Chillies Ahoy
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 12:45:38 »
Hi Biscombe,

Nothing to do with chillis but wanted to let you know we found a great restaurant called 'La Concha' in Torrevieja last weekend. It's a street or so back from the seafront promenade and just does Spanish regional cooking. Very genuine and good value for a resort/seaside town.

The stuffed baby squid in their own ink was delicious :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 12:38:04 »
'Chillis Ahoy'

May i ask why chillis in particular? What need do we have for a sub forum for chillis in particular, when everything else is bunched in together? Why not just have seperate Fruit and Veg boards?

OK If we are going down this route, can i ask for a sub forum covering Tomatoes please? Then after that what about one for Runner Beans oe Potatoes? Any chance?

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 12:31:56 »
Chillies are the 'in thing at the moment!' there are quite a few forums dedicated to just chillies! I think Dan is spot on for adding this sub forum!

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 13:34:24 »
Hi Biscombe,

Nothing to do with chillis but wanted to let you know we found a great restaurant called 'La Concha' in Torrevieja last weekend. It's a street or so back from the seafront promenade and just does Spanish regional cooking. Very genuine and good value for a resort/seaside town.

The stuffed baby squid in their own ink was delicious :)

Sounds great! how was the holiday? started to get cold here!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 14:20:00 »
There for 5 days and it rained every day! The food was the only consolation :)

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 20:10:06 »
Oh no!! poor babes! more rain for the weekend here!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 11:08:20 »
Chillies are the 'in thing at the moment!' there are quite a few forums dedicated to just chillies! I think Dan is spot on for adding this sub forum!

Hmm Nice though they are I think they are overrated. i grow just one type 'Numex Twilight' and it is sufficient for my needs.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 13:28:17 »

Hmm Nice though they are I think they are overrated. i grow just one type 'Numex Twilight' and it is sufficient for my needs.

Broadly speaking I agree there is no need to grow loads of different chillies. I grow them much as someone else might grow Dahlias - because I love the plants. There's no way I could use all the chillies produced and I give many away - even the plants themselves when winter comes.

But I think that, even from a purely pragmatic point of view, you're missing out with just that Numex. They're pretty (and prolific)  but very high in heat and not great on flavour. For example, I have one powder I made just from Italian cayenne and another from Espanola, Mirasol, Apache and Georgia Flame (all medium heat) and you can smell and taste the substantial difference.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 16:34:37 »
But I think that, even from a purely pragmatic point of view, you're missing out with just that Numex. They're pretty (and prolific)  but very high in heat and not great on flavour. For example, I have one powder I made just from Italian cayenne and another from Espanola, Mirasol, Apache and Georgia Flame (all medium heat) and you can smell and taste the substantial difference.

how did you make the powders?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 16:52:26 »

how did you make the powders?

I'd be interested to know too.  I'm drying my smaller chillies with a view to crushing them for use as I need them.  I've also seen a 'chilli mill' which looks like a pepper mill and I'm thinking about getting one if others can vouch for their usefulness.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 17:53:57 »
I've got a coffee grinder that I use for spices.  It does a great job on dried chillis.  Whizz for a short time to get chilli flakes, longer for powder.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 18:23:14 »
I've got a coffee grinder that I use for spices.  It does a great job on dried chillis.  Whizz for a short time to get chilli flakes, longer for powder.

Ditto  :)

PS I always de-stalk and sometimes de-seed first - especially if they are very seedy chillis.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 20:04:17 »
Am I right in assuming that you have a separate grinder for spices i.e. you wouldn't use the same one for coffee, nuts etc? I'm in a bit of a dilemma now. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 09:20:17 »

Ditto  :)

PS I always de-stalk and sometimes de-seed first - especially if they are very seedy chillis.

thanks for the info :D.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 15:49:02 »
Am I right in assuming that you have a separate grinder for spices i.e. you wouldn't use the same one for coffee, nuts etc? I'm in a bit of a dilemma now. 

G x

Clean between use  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2008, 17:49:22 »

G x

Sorry to sound dumb but the with current grinder I have (a Krups one) you cannot wash the bit with the blade/motor, you just wipe the inside around with kitchen towel.  This is fine as I only use it for coffee beans, breadcrumbs and nuts.  But surely chilli would leave behind the taste?

G x

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 21:28:36 »

G x

Sorry to sound dumb but the with current grinder I have (a Krups one) you cannot wash the bit with the blade/motor, you just wipe the inside around with kitchen towel.  This is fine as I only use it for coffee beans, breadcrumbs and nuts.  But surely chilli would leave behind the taste?

G x

now don't get cross ;), i know the mexicans and some south Americans add chilli to their hot cocoa, i tried it and blow it does taste very good, maybe the flavour of the chillie might also enhance your coffee :-\

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 22:02:31 »
The inside of my grinder is some kind of brushed metal that doesn't hold any taint.

Chilli and chocolate - a match made in heaven!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2008, 10:24:19 »
Similar grinder - brushed metal interior - just wipe with damp kitchen towel. I haven't ever noticed any cross contamination.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2008, 10:28:24 »
Thanks everyone.  You've just saved me £15.   ;D

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal