Author Topic: chitting and planting early spuds  (Read 3815 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: chitting and planting early spuds
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 14:57:18 »
Take the chits off, you'll soon get some decent ones growing.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 16:03:06 »
Thanks  ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 10:12:09 »
I can never understand advice NOT to chit potatoes, even maincrops. They sprout anyway, whatever you do, either long weak straggly ones if left in dark garage, or short strong ones if laid out on egg boxes in cool daylight.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 11:00:22 »
Soil temp is the best indicator, if it is too cold they won't do anything and may rot

So what temperature does the soil need to be for potatoes? 

I usually end up with quite a tangled mess, so this year they are all spread out neatly in egg boxes on the spare room windowsill.   I agree with Artichoke it does seem to be much more sensible.

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 15:31:06 »
wow ive just picked up my potatoes ive bought for 1st earlies foremost and rocket for my second earlies ive bought charlotte and for my main i have cara and desireeand romano ;D

im chitting the ist earlies in trays on the kitchen cabinets would it be worthwile chitting the 2nd earlies now as well? ???

also my main crop are in paper bags in a hessian sack if i leave them in a bedroom with no heat etc will they be ok ?

also i bought 1 golden gourmet shallots two sturon onion sets and 1 red baron onion sets never seen so many onions in my life lol

also an update on the tomatoes i lost them all :(  however ive just replanted or pricked oput 30 chillie pepper plants so hopefully i will get some of those ok and i purchased my first cold frame  so i can harden the seedling etc so ive been busy i love communing with mother nature its such great fun and ive found a new shed 8x8 for £299 dekivery is an extra tenner and the build another 45 quid so all in all im having great fun ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 11:15:42 »
Lay them all out to chit and don't leave them in the kitchen as it will be too warm for them in there, they need a cool light room so your unheated bedroom sounds ideal.   ;D ;D ;D

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 17:45:48 »
cheers for that kev the kitchen is quite cool not really hot and they are away from the oven etc so will this be ok and do you think i should be chitting the main crop   ???

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 20:26:30 »
Yes ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal