Author Topic: Moving boroughs - what happens about allotment?  (Read 4161 times)

desnz

• Not So New ...
Moving boroughs - what happens about allotment?
« on: September 18, 2008, 13:39:07 »
Hi, we have an allotment plot owned and managed by our local council, and may soon be moving to a neighbouring borough - what happens with our plot? Are we still eligible to use it or do with have to give it up? Thanks! :)

tonyw

• Not So New ...
Re: Moving boroughs - what happens about allotment?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 13:59:25 »
personally i wouldn`t say anything and carry  on as normal, who`s to know?.

desnz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 14:02:18 »
Thanks Tony, we'll do that. Just worried about next year as they ask for a recent bill proving address and we'll have a different address in another borough. Best make hay while the sun shines as they say! 

tonyw

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 14:16:19 »
really? i didnt know they were so thorough. i would doctor the date on a council tax bill or something. a lot of time, effort and love goes into these allotments. its a bit dodgy but thats my opinion anyway. : ::)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 14:31:15 »
Desnez

I would hang on to your plot until just before they begin to talk about proof of where you live and if you go to them and say that you MAY be moving to the new borough in a few months time but obviously it will be OK for you to carry on where you are until you do move and if that is mid season then you will have to complete the season and carry on that type of flannel and then try and wing it.  I would certainly not recommend doctoring documents as if you are caught you can be done for fraud!  However unimportant you think this is just a small rent etc. it is still fraud.

It sounds to me as if the Council have a problem with other people from neighbouring boroughs using their allotments - do you think that they check every year or is it just at the beginning of the year?

Another way to do it is to ring up - if there is someone you loathe on the site then use their name ring the council and say that you may be moving etc and ask their advice - then at least when the time comes you can say it is all news to me -I didn't know and they then don't have a record of your call just your nasty neighbour!

Probably be a good idea to  ring up the new Council and get your name down on a list if there is likely to be a wait!

Good luck either way!!

Old Bird

;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 15:25:49 »
I would also be adding my name to the waiting lists in the new borough now.  Just in case the worst comes to worst.  Or if all things are rosy you could possibly end up with two.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

desnz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 15:33:39 »
Fab, thanks for the advice everyone, fingers crossed we can keep it as I know the waiting list in the new borough is massive.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 15:45:24 »
Presumably each year you get an invoice sent to your home address which you pay and send back with a tenancy agreement?  You wont receive this if youve moved and will be evicted for non payment?
rbt
Best laid plans and all that

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 16:13:44 »
You can get mail forwarded by the royal mail for up to a year.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 16:17:01 »
Raisebedted

That shouldn't be a problem - all he has to do if redirect his mail to his new home!
Doh!

Whilst writing dtw came up with the same solution!  Thing is you can forward mail for two years or collect it down the sorting office/post office for free!

Old Bird

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 15:09:36 »
Policies vary. My own site in the London Borough of Barnet accepts people from neighbouring boroughs and, from this year, charges them the same rent as Barnet residents (they used to be charged more). Some plotholders come quite long distances and have had their plots for many years. The site is admittedly large - nearly 200 plots - so perhaps we can afford to be liberal about this.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 16:30:18 »
Some don't like you moving out of the parish council area. Most that i have seen say that they are only for the residents of the borough. If there is no waiting list for your, i doubt that they would kick you off.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 06:55:53 »
 The council  here used to have a rule that up to 10% of the plots could be held by persons from out side the area. This allowed people to move out of the area and still keep their plot.

At the time plots were not the fashion and we had more plots than we had plot holders. Not so now.

I think that the rules will vary from council to council.

Do you have a same name relative in the area whose address you could use?

Council tax records will clearly show who lives where.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal