Author Topic: hens stopped laying  (Read 1836 times)

bohemiabones

• Not So New ...
hens stopped laying
« on: September 17, 2008, 20:19:29 »
my POL pullets started laying a couple of months ago and now just suddenly stopped completely. i feed and water them as usual, they dont appear ill or moulting - as anyone any ideas?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: hens stopped laying
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 22:45:57 »
what breed do you have?
the  drop in temp at night sends my rosie into a moult, the others follow. It could be lice or red mites they are leathal things.
Apple cider vinigar in the water and poultry spice in the food will boost their system up also feeding greens in the afternoon.
Are they due to be wormed,  normaly done twice a year.  I do spring and autumn.
First signs of something not right is not laying.
hope this helps

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 15:31:58 »
Hens reduce or stop laying for various reasons, some as previously listed.  If they are moulting - it could last a month or so.  They also go off laying in bad weather,  many reducing their production over the winter months.  You could also add some oyster grit to their diet which is also beneficial to the hens.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

bohemiabones

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 22:05:51 »
thanks teresa and ktlawson - no sign of parasites, or moult and weather didnt change much although it did steadily rise to 31C when they stopped laying...still not an egg after two weeks and its now 15C if that is going to make things worse.

they are french bovans or so i am told here in czech bohemia, although never heard of this species...should have bought moravian blacks i suppose. :-\

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 02:01:36 »
bovans are pretty tough.

I think lice are really hard to detect...until the feathers start looking crap.

have you tried giving them boiled and mashed veg/veg peelings with a couple of good glugs of cod liver oil?   When my chooks were down in the mouth an old guy from our allotments told me about cod liver oil for hens. Hardly ever written about in all the books but an absolute bonus because it gives them vital vitamins.  It helps in all situations but definately during the moult. 

bohemiabones

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 22:37:50 »
thanks Heldi...cod liver oil treatment sounds cruel from my childhood memories ;)
you really heard of bovans? i have two really good chicken reference books and no mention of this breed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal