Author Topic: mice and rats!!  (Read 5198 times)

Olivia G

• Not So New ...
mice and rats!!
« on: September 17, 2008, 17:36:54 »
i use an electronic mice repeller for my house which is great but i dont have a socket in my greenhouse! I have put down traps...still they come...i read on this site someone used peanut butter....i tried it and ...yep..still there are mice! What can i do?????

Buster54

• Acre
Re: mice and rats!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 18:48:04 »
One of my allotment neighbors uses Peanut Butter on his rat traps,there must be something in your greenhouse worth dieing for
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 22:42:25 »
Try a bit of Mars bar on the trap. while they are chewing....bang. Has worked for me on 3 occasions when I have had a mouse in the greenhouse.

Olivia G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:56:16 »
Still there - my visitors don't care for human food - and I've wasted a good mars bar! ???

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 16:10:50 »
My mouse on ly got a little bit I had the rest :) :) :) are you setting the trap fine enough ? Is there any sign of them near the trap? mine removed a malteser without setting the trap off!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 19:39:36 »
Poison never fails.

vespaman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 07:58:52 »
why not get one of these

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_7351.htm

and have a airrifle handy when they appear..  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 21:55:38 »
Welcome to the site Olivia.
I find peanut butter is excellent, got over thirty from the potato store last year, had two so far but the trap has malfunctioned .. bought some more and have set all three today, will look like the Somme all over again tomorrow... wave after wave of rodents, and I bet there is still one to finish off the bait!!
 :-\

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 22:17:59 »
Hi Olivia... when I've needed to use traps in the house chocolate (e.g. Kit Kat) has never failed yet, & at least the little blighters peg it with some pleasure.

In my allotment shed I've had the occasional visit, but I try & keep stuff they might like out of there or not accessible (e.g. in plastic boxes or bags).
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 22:50:42 »
Got another ! Trap and Mouse....  ;D

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 22:59:46 »
Emptied my small tool box cos another plotholder was giving his up and gave me his double door jobbie - and discovered a small rat in residence down at the bottom - he/she toodled off into the sunrise somewhere on Sunday morning.

I've got a large one in the compost heap tho' - another plotholder's going to put a trap in it for me cos I'm a squeamish female and put a sign up when he's disposed of it  :o

Really hate having to take this route but don't like the slow poison stuff and there's no way he (cos it's a big one) and I can co-exist on the plot. He wasn't willing to "toddle" off when I disturbed him and just went underground.
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

DebbieP

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 10:29:13 »
Olivia - I also use an electronic mouse repeller in my house and shed, but have got a mouse problem in the greenhouse, I've got some humane mouse traps because I hate the idea of killing them.  They just trap the mice in a box without snapping them in half, much better:)  I just use cheese!  Mine are from http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/humane-mouse-trap-single-p-694.html?cPath=24_25 - I got some more last week

Worth a try? 

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 11:44:37 »
I used primrose-london.co.uk too.   I got the Sure Set Mouse Traps for the shed and they sure do work - used chocolate as bait - but be sure it is not too big otherwise the little blights just lean in and lift the lot without stepping on the plate......
twinkletoes

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 08:35:23 »
install a cat! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 13:53:42 »
try chemic in a jam sandwich never fails dead within an hour as its sianide based poisen so procautions etc
today i will be growin veg!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 20:51:45 »
I doubt whether that's legal, and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to be using cyanide! There's no need anyway. Normal poison will do for the buggers.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 18:02:52 »
Mars bars are great, you can mould it round the plate and it sticks to their teeth holding them there that split second longer.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 18:04:52 by sawfish »

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 19:41:20 »
With the colder weather coming vermin tend to move inside sheds and any other outbuildings, once I've finished down the lotty in a week or so I will be putting some Rat poision down in mi shed ;)

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 19:55:57 »
Although I have used traps and caught the odd mouse eversince I meet 3 rats sunning themselves on my compost bin.  (the weed only one) I have planted Rue all around it and at the back of the sheds.  Seems to do the trick, as someone else mentioned  keep all things that they might like in plastic  boxes or tins.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal