Author Topic: Comfrey  (Read 1647 times)

Tyke

• Half Acre
Comfrey
« on: September 21, 2008, 16:27:34 »
I got some comfrey seeds cheap today and want to plant them on my plot. The sowing instructions are not too helpful. Will it grow in a shady, damp part of our plot?

It says to sow April to June, but i know that it is a perennial. Could i sow it now indorrs and over-winter it in a greenhouse, before planting out in spring?

Does it die down over winter?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Comfrey
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 17:41:14 »
It does die down overwinter. It'll grow anywhere, but it is a native of damp spots, and does well in the shade, so that would be a good place to put it. I don't know whether the seed needs stratifying or not, but I'd tend to plant now (or plant half if you have plenty) and see what happens. Leave it in pots overwinter, somewhere it can get cold while still getting a bit of protection. I use a frame under a tree for my hardy perennial seeds.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 19:59:07 »
this link may help,

http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=1856

Like Robert says it does die down over winter and in the spring grows like wildfire. I have the blocking 14 strain no seeds just have to do root divisions. So beautiful in flower and bees love it, it is very hardy roots go down 10ft so be carefull where you plant it.

My shed and neighbroughs down lottie burnt down ( one hell of a fire) and took my comphrey with it down to the earth.
 Now 4 weeks later its up 2ft and growing well better than my redcurrants. Just shows how tough this plant is.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:18:22 »
My mate gets so much we all just help ourselves.

So, think it my be worth noting that they have a tendency to 'take over'. Or as one gardener said. Once you plant them you can't get rid of them.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:38:39 »
My mate gets so much we all just help ourselves.

So, think it my be worth noting that they have a tendency to 'take over'. Or as one gardener said. Once you plant them you can't get rid of them.

On the other hand, the leaves of Russian Comfrey are great compost activators and (soaked in water) great plant feed. You can keep cutting them and they will come back, so why worry if they flourish?
Keep Calm and Carry On

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal