Author Topic: marrow chutney  (Read 27447 times)

carrottop

marrow chutney
« on: September 12, 2008, 13:07:29 »
Does anyone know if you can make chutney from marrows as we have a glut of them and if so any recipe ideas please

redrichwen

• Quarter Acre
Re: marrow chutney
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 13:24:38 »
Hi

You can make chutney!

http://www.rivercottage.net/SeasonalRecipes~August/Default.aspx

Follow this link for the River Cottage seasonal chutney recipe - aka Glutney. I followed the same recipe yesterday to make chutney, using the marrow and the green tomato options, as we have loads of these too at the moment which don't seem to be turning red. It smelt lovely!.

I've also done the Sarah Raven courgette chutney recipe, which suggests its good for overgrown courgettes, therefore marrows. I can't find a link, but if you want the recipe, you can pm me, and i'll try and type it on later.

Enjoy, and happy preserving!

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 13:49:43 »
I'll second the glutney recipe - made some a while back and can't wait to get to eat it - it smelt lush when I was bottling it up!

;D

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 17:13:00 »
I used the river cottage recipe (glutney) and i made 35 jars using my toms, windfall apples and marrows and i find it goes with all sorts of meals, and can be made in variations of what is a available at the time. ;D
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 17:47:19 »
Not sure if I'm being dense, but are the first four items all alternatives, i.e. either courgettes, or pumpkin, or toms or plums?
Or is it courgettes or pumpkins plus toms or plums? ???

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 23:14:22 »
You can also make jam.  I do marrow and orange, marrow and lemon, marrow and ginger and just did some marrow and plum.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 00:20:03 »
I need jars!  :'( :'( :'(

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 09:38:10 »
Try freecycle, EJ.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:26:00 »
I did the Marrow & ginger per Sarah Raven, strange to call it ginger because it also has pineapple and lemon in it which have more pronounced flavours. However I did find as with most recipes slight adjustments to ingredients and cooking method brings abouts variations in flavour -well worth experimentation !

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 18:47:51 »
I clicked on the riverside site but the screen came up with the following.  The site declined to show this page.  Can you help me find the recipe or print it up please.  I have several large marrows and need a recipe.  Many thanks.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 19:02:28 »
Glutney
This is a ‘multiple choice’ recipe for chutney, designed to help you use whatever seasonal fruit and vegetables are in full glut at the time. For me, the courgettes/overgrown marrows are pretty much a staple in August and September, and they may give way to pumpkins and squashes in October and November. Tomatoes and plums are around at roughly the same time, though the tomatoes will start early – particularly if you use green ones.

Of course, no two batches of glutney will ever be quite the same – but that hardly matters. You should also feel free to play fast and loose with the spice bag. And if you like a really hot chutney, add as much dried chilli as you dare.

Serve with cheese, cold meats, terrines, pork pies etc. But also remember what a useful ingredient chutney is, with a ready-mixed blend of sweet, sour and spice. I frequently add it to curries, soups and stews.

To make about 10 jam jars’ worth:

1kg marrows/overgrown courgettes, unpeeled but cut into dice no bigger than 1cm (discard seeds from really large marrows) OR 1kg pumpkin, peeled, seeds and soft fibres discarded, and diced no bigger than 1cm
1kg red or green tomatoes, scalded, skinned and roughly chopped OR 1kg plums, stoned and chopped
1kg cooking or eating apples, peeled and diced
500g onions, peeled and diced
500g sultanas or raisins
500g light brown sugar
750ml white wine or cider vinegar, made up to 1 litre with water
1–3 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp salt

for the spice bag
1 thumb-sized nugget of fresh or dried ginger, roughly chopped
12 cloves
12 black peppercorns
1 generous tsp coriander seeds
a few blades of mace

Put the vegetables and fruit in a large, heavy-based pan with the sultanas or raisins, sugar, vinegar and water, chilli flakes and salt.

Make up the spice bag by tying all the spices in a square of muslin or cotton. Add the spice bag to the pan, pushing it into the middle.

Heat the mixture gently, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar, and bring slowly to the boil. Simmer for 2–3 hours, uncovered, stirring regularly to ensure it does not burn on the bottom of the pan. The chutney is ready when it is rich, thick and reduced, and parts to reveal the base of the pan when a wooden spoon is dragged through it. If it starts to dry out before this stage is reached, add a little boiling water.

Pot up the chutney while still warm (but not boiling hot) in sterilised jars with plastic-coated screw-top lids (essential to stop the vinegar interacting with the metal). Leave to mature for at least 2 weeks – ideally 2 months – before serving.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 20:07:17 »
Many, many thanks for taking so much trouble and giving me so much info. as well as the recipe.  I thought I used chutney with many things but never thought to put them in stews, soups ect.. 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 20:48:45 »
Can anyone answer my question above?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 21:16:22 »
Caroline, if you check the recipe that lbb posted it tells you what is the alternative for what.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 15:52:18 »
mmmmmmmmm, liking the look of Hughs glutney.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal