Author Topic: Chickens  (Read 1207 times)

Griffithsky

Chickens
« on: September 06, 2008, 18:10:14 »
 ??? I have got an allotment which allows me to keep chickens - there is Harris fencing which is 8ft high but everyone puts the chickens in because of fox attacks.  I would like to keep chickens but would only be able to get to the allotment once a day (first thing in the morning).  Is there anything I could buy that would feed the chickens eg a dispenser.

1. Is the fencing high enough to fend of f the fox
2. Would the chickens go into the shed by themselves at night
3. How do I ensure the allotment is safe and fox free

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Griff

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 18:22:36 »
hiya, griffithsky, welcome to the site  ;D
we got chickens on our site 4 weeks ago, fortunately, ours are communal so there are lots of people to open up and close..there are lots of people on this site who have chooks so you should get some good advice  :)
our fencing is 8 feet high, same sort but we've put a roof of the same on as there are trees around and apparently, foxes can climb  :o

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 18:23:29 »
Hi Griff,
              I'm afraid if you don't have a good secure shed for your chicks at night then I'm afraid old Reynard will be feasting on them, the only way I can see round your problem would to have a complete covered in run with the fencing going well in to the ground set in concrete and being a double chain link type fence and then that is a risk, take it from me he will have them, a friend of mine left a vent window slightly open which was a good seven feet from the ground which  a mouse would not get through  but he did, the fox could not get back out the shed  my friend on his way to work the following morning and  being a part time gamekeeper went in the shed with a length of 3x3 and had him :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 18:30:17 by Mr Smith »

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 19:55:25 »
Griff! The chickens WOULD probably go into their shed at night to roost but IMO it's not worth the risk.

I've got 'inner city' chickens and inner city foxes are all around.

There are several things that you can do do secure them .. I'm sure that other people on A4A will be able to tell you.

My stance is: Foxes prey on chickens and it's natural. HUMANS should look after the chickens and other animals they have because they domesticated them in the 1st place.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 20:04:06 »
If you can only get to your allotment on a morning then my opinion would be not to get the chickens.  What about when they need cleaning out?  My 11 hens have 2 feeders and 6 drinking areas.  They get fed 2 x daily and in summer require most drinkers filling in the evening on hot days.    Yes you could put out more.  The more you have out, the more you are likely to attract other rodents. 

There are feeders and drinkers on the market that slow the release of grain and control fluid output.  Not sure by how much though.  Most animal suppliers will have them.  Around £6-7 each.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 20:05:51 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Griffithsky

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 21:18:54 »
Thank you all very much - I can see I am going to have to re-think having chickens at all... I wouldn't get them and leave them in danger so probably best if I leave it for now.

Thanks again

Griff

jimbob

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 22:59:31 »
the fence is no problem for Mr Fox they can climb that height i have see it when they attacked my hens.

the solution for you would be a movable ark with a grid floor, the type that they use in concrete floor laying it gives the girls the chance to dig and scratch and if the run is wire all round and above the fox will not get in.

I use a rabbit bin feeder which hangs on the side of the pen and i top it up each morning, one cup for each bird and one extra, with lots of greens hanging by the side of the pen side and use a water bin that needs filling twice a week

I get with three hens 3 cackle berries each day, there great fun

:)

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 08:45:27 »
Hi Griff

It would be a pity if you gave up the chickens, they're such good fun & great company & characters.

I've got a 2 metre high chicken wire fence around my chicken run within my allotment. The bottom is deeply dug into the earth. That's kept them safe so far.

I originally left food in their coop all the time, but this encouraged rats so I only feed them once a day. This works OK so long as the run they have is big & you have enough time to allow then to have a wander outside the run to scratch around... but if you have planted areas that would be damaged you may have to protect these.

Mine go in their coop at dusk no problem.

Finally, if I was starting again I wouldn't get Maran Cross chickens... mine are not so user friendly. The Black Rock chicken & white chicken are really friendly & great for kids.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:47:02 by JohnMac »
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 10:11:18 »
Hiya Griff

Why don't you think about a neighbour on the allotment site and five them say a half/or dozen eggs a week in exchange for shutting them in the evening?  There must be loads of retired folk that would love to do this without the responsibility of doing everyhting else associated with chickens!

I only feed mine once a day I have the large feeders which I hang off the ground under the house - and another under some shelter.  The water trough - which is a galvanised one - does two days at a time.  It cost a lot to buy with but holds nearly a gallon I would think - so even though I go up twice a day - I don't necessarily need to.  In the winter I will ask a neighbour possibly to make sure they are tucked up  - but during the summer they have all gone to the house to roost but I have left their hatch open.

Old Bird

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal