Author Topic: Unripe Butternut Squash  (Read 8982 times)

blythvalley

• Not So New ...
Unripe Butternut Squash
« on: September 17, 2008, 10:23:17 »
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone has any ideas for cooking unripe butternuts (if you can eat them at all that is).  I have had a few decent sized ripe ones from my plants but am now left with 5 or 6 small green squashes.  With the lack of sunshine  :-[ we are having i'm wondering if they will ever ripen would like to do something with them if they don't?  A chutney or relish maybe?  Any ideas would be fantastic.

Thanks

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
Re: Unripe Butternut Squash
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 17:36:14 »
I have 2 here te same, i have put them on the bench in the greenhouse in the hope they will ripen  :-\

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 22:55:14 »
Mine are all still pretty much green but I'm leaving them on the vines. They still have time to ripen. Wait till the foliage has died back or a frost is forecast. Then they can be 'cured' indoors for a week or so before storing. If you really want to use them now they can be used in any recipe calling for marrows or courgettes.

Tricia

blythvalley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:35:46 »
That's great, thanks for you help.  I will try to be patient for a few more weeks!  ;)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 20:22:27 »
The little unripe ones on the end can be used just like courgettes - slice & fry gently in butter. Similar, but different; can't describe, but taste & texture are individual and fabulous.

But where do you folks live if you're harvesting winter squash this early? Unless the weather turns peculiar I'm not even starting to count mine for another month!

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 20:29:45 »
I'm down in the deep south :lol
I harvested mine as i was clearing the 3 sisters bed and the foilage had died off :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal