Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: garlic
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 22:24:44 »
1. They are not bred for this country
2. They are not 'certified' stock.

Why should either point matter? The fact remains that shop bought garlic generally produces as good a yield as overpriced seed stock in the south of the country.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 23:02:39 »
yes
 but no choice whatever

ok if that's what you want

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 00:31:48 »
Sorry Tim - up with TeeGee on this one.

Been growing garlic for 4 seasons (so not in the least an expert) and only plant the biggest cloves, original ones were from France (a plait brought back from daughter's holiday) but also plant ones from local farmers' market in town.

Sometimes plant the ones I harvest that don't clove, ie the smallest of the crop.

Not yet bought one from a commercial supplier  :)

Ninnyscrops

If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 17:52:46 »
If supermarket garlic works for you that's fine, of course, but you will miss out on a wide range of delicious alternatives (from France and Spain as well as the UK, Tim!) and you can't be nearly so confident that it's going to be virus and fungus free.
Keep Calm and Carry On

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 20:22:57 »
Why should it all matter? Because:

1. Despite success from market bulbs, UK grown ones are more likely to succeed?
2. Some market bulbs - at great cost - would not equal three of our cloves.
3. We suppose that 'certified' stock is less likely to introduce white rot. Don't live to regret it. But, of course, if you have re-selected annually, like TG & others, you know that your stock is clean?
4. Bulbs bought fresh on the Continent - no need to apologise! - are nothing like the ****** dried up ones from the s/market.
5. Yes - if you really know what you are doing, fine. But if not, a pound or two could save you later distress.
6. Choice? All the UK ones - Scottish, East Anglian, IOW - are selected from the great variety of Continental/Russian varieties. No shortage of choice - unless you want more than 20. When will we be satisfied?

PS I'm just chatting!!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 20:38:55 »
and you can't be nearly so confident that it's going to be virus and fungus free.

Why?

Most of the seed stock is grown under contract in Europe so what is the difference? Most of the seed stock I've ever seen has not been fit for the kitchen let alone crop planting and should never have been on the market.

OK you can all call me a food moron if you want but unless you intend to eat the stiff raw very few people will be able to taste the difference once its been in the pan so growing lots of named varieties seems a waste of effort.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 20:50:18 »
dried up ones from the s/market.

Anyone who buys veg at the supermarket deserves what they get. Try shopping in the High Street where the turnover puts the largest stores to shame and the punters shamelessly throw anything below standard on the floor.

The large supermarkets do not buy quality, they buy uniformity.

PS. I'm just yapping too.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 22:40:18 »
and you can't be nearly so confident that it's going to be virus and fungus free.

Why?

Most of the seed stock is grown under contract in Europe so what is the difference? Most of the seed stock I've ever seen has not been fit for the kitchen let alone crop planting and should never have been on the market.

OK you can all call me a food moron if you want but unless you intend to eat the stiff raw very few people will be able to taste the difference once its been in the pan so growing lots of named varieties seems a waste of effort.
We'll have to agree to differ. The (mainly French) seed stock I've bought for the last couple of years has been marvellous and the taste of the garlic I've grown has been miles better than anything I've bought in a supermarket.  In fact it's been a revelation.
Paul

P.S.  Just yapping too
Keep Calm and Carry On

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 20:45:00 »
The trick with all garlic is to plant the biggest cloves. Don't take whole bulbs for planting, take the biggest cloves off the bulbs, and eat the rest. If anyone complains about the shape of the bulb that arrives in the kitchen, give them no sympathy!

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 21:09:25 »
Seconded Mr Brenchley!  ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal