Author Topic: Dying trees update  (Read 1452 times)

sunnyb

• Not So New ...
Dying trees update
« on: September 02, 2008, 17:25:34 »
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice a while back about my poorly ornamental cherry / plum tree.

I'm now awaiting a visit from a tree expert as the problem has spread to a neighbouring tree (still one of mine) which I think is some sort of hawthorn and the at which that has succumbed is really worrying.

There don't seem to be any signs of honeyfungus - well nothing matches any of the symptoms listed on the various websites, but the barks of both trees have patches of lime green coloured mildewy deposits on them.

While I'm waiting for my tree surgeon's expert to come up with an answer, I thought I'd see if I could find anything on the web, but only seem to come up with Dutch Elm disease as a possible answer... does this sound likely?

Sunny

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Dying trees update
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 19:36:51 »
I think you'll find the problem is bacterial canker.

Deadly, eventually, for cherry and plum trees.

We had a pair of dozy old fools next door that for 15+ years would not be told that their weeping cherry was diseased, and was more trouble than it was worth.

We lost a fruiting cherry tree and our victoria plum tree, thanks to their bloody mindedness.

Ah well, it takes all kinds. ???

valmarg

sunnyb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 22:51:59 »
Thanks Valmarg,

I have some sympathy with your neighbours only because I know how it feels to want not to lose such a lovely tree, but 15 + years is a bit excessive, in fact I'm surprised that their tree lasted that long - our disease seems to have taken hold within months - weeks even and I have to do something before it affects our neighbours lovely apple tree.

I'm a bit more encouraged if it is bacterial canker rather than honey fungus, although the surgeon is fairly convinced that neither of the trees can be saved, many of the websites I've visited seem to offer a treatment plan for this problem and I'm hoping the tree "doctor" suggests medical management rather than surgery!!  Otherwise, I'll be back for advice on what I can plant that will give our bank and hedge some "character" and not be susceptible to dying on us!!!

Sunnyx

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 06:19:16 »
That is sad news about your tree.

I expect that it would be wise to leave the area for a year or so after removing it to allow for the 'bug that got it' to die too. Your surgeon will advise.

Please do consider replacing it with a fruit or nut tree of some sort. A type which people or wild life can eat. If times continue to be tough, we may all need to do this more.

There are loads of varieties some of which are pretty as well as profitable from yielding a harvest.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal