Author Topic: Newbie in Liverpool  (Read 6963 times)

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
Newbie in Liverpool
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:37:43 »
Hello  :) I'm a newbie in Liverpool and got my jungle of brambles 2 weeks ago today. There are no plotholders to the right of us so we couldn't see where we started & ended, but think we've found the edge of our plot now - it looks like a biggie! Only hoping half of it isn't taken back if they ever get around to measuring but the gate position, paths & hardstandings & stuff we've uncovered suggest it's all ours.

OH & I are determined to get it workable over the winter. We made loads of progress in the first week but the torrential rain this week has slowed us down a bit. We did dig a little patch & put some broccoli in last weekend though - feels much more like we have a proper plot now!

Pics of our progress so far are in my gallery area if anyone fancies a peek. Looking forward to getting stuck in!

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
Re: Newbie in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 12:05:01 »
welcome Lottie103 I'm sure you will find a wealth of info on this site LB :D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 12:12:26 »
Welcome Lottie103, looking at your pics you have your work cut out for you this winter.  Don't overdo the hard labour, and take loads of photos of your progress and you'll be well rewarded next year.  We've all been there, it's a rite of passage to have to clear a plot before you start work.
The Tuscan Beaneater

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 13:54:50 »
I remember it well, mine looked a bit like that when I started more than 10years ago. Now, the weeds still come through but so do lots of lovely other things and it's worth every minute I spend there. I'm sure you will have great fun and a real sense of satisfaction and I would advise start planting things as soon as you have cleared a bit of space, that way you will see the rewards of your efforts quickly and  and will keep up the motivation and enthusiasm. Good luck!

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 14:15:05 »
Hi,

Welcome to the site!

Where in Liverpool are you (and have you seen the spider this weekend!).

Cheers

Dan

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 14:54:52 »
Welcome.  You will certainly be needing plenty of brew flasks and sarnies over the coming months;  looking at your pictures.  It wont look so bad once the thick of it is cut to ground level,  never mind the digging part.  Let the games...... begin ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 14:56:21 »
Welcome, Lottie- it's a good time of year to get a plot, just as (hopefully) the weeds are slowing down but before the cold really sets in (won't mention the wet!)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 14:57:38 »
Welcome. Quite a challenge but you've achieved an enormous amount already. Great work :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 15:51:58 »
hiya, lottie103, nice to meet you, as everyone has said, little and often, it's a good time of year to take a plot on, happy growing  ;D

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 19:32:58 »
Thanks for such a lovely welcome and words of encouragement  ;D.

We've spent the afternoon doing a bit more lopping & chopping & all the big stuff is pretty much at ground level now, apart from an area that is currently home to a wasp nest. We'll sort that once the worker wasps have died off & we can move the queen.

I suspect this is when the real work begins. I'm going to miss the ease of clearing brambles when we are clearing grass and bindweed roots from our heavy soil! A friend is bringing me some tatties & garlic to put in this week and I'm going to get some onions to overwinter too.  I was going to try for a quick crop of radish & salad greens but we're a bit waterlogged just at the moment.

Dan - I'm at the Marlborough Rd site in Tuebrook. Lots of plots available if anyone is looking for one. We could have opted for a relatively clear one but apparently the topsoil was removed from that side of the site when they built the new housing estate next door. I'd much rather have the rite of passage of a bit of graft & have some quality soil to begin with!

Much to my shame, I've not seen the spider. Wouldn't have minded going for a gawp but the footage on TV of the huge crowds over the last few days put me off.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 19:48:01 »
Welcome to A4A.  Don't forget to take pics at each stage (cos we are a nosey lot ;D) Hope we get some drier weather so that you can carry on the good work.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 19:56:42 »
hi lottie,a big welcome from me too! (also in liverpool,aigburth) we took on our lottie this time last year,and it IS a great time of year to start.good luck and enjoy enjoy enjoy ( have you got a kettle yet?)
love
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 22:26:12 »
*waves* across the `pool!

Nope, we've not got a kettle yet. We don't have anywhere to store anything yet so have to carry everything back & forth. I can see our camping stove coming with us eventually. We do take a flask though. We have a club on site too so a nice cold beer doesn't go amiss after a few hours hard labour - can't be bad.

I'll deffo be boring you all with lots of photos. The garden of our first house was a bit of a project too and I've always regretted not taking pics of progress. The only prob so far is that it looks like OH is the only one doing any work since I'm taking all the pics!
Lynn
x

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 20:31:53 »
Hi Lottie and welcome.  i have my plot on the Wirral so you are not too far away.

I am sure you will get loads of ideas nad help from the site.

BB x

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 20:09:27 »
Thanks BB  :)

We were wrong about thinking we'd found the edge to our plot last weekend - the fence I happened upon today suggests we have now though  ;D! OH is convinced we will be told that the bit we've cleared isn't all ours. It's at least a plot and a half, if not a double and looks huge but looking at the the position of the paths, fence & gateway, there's no easy way to divide it. Anyway, it's been standing idle for 5 years so no one else has been too desperate for the land thus far.

We got a mini shed up this week too which was rather exciting. We'd had the `to lock or not to lock' discussion after reading the thread here. So, last night we left our tools in shed & didn't lock it. Got to the plot today to discover our shears on the ground *outside* of our plot! Expected to see the other few bits & bobs we have there strewn around but everything else was as we left it, nothing missing & shed door was closed and bolted  ???

Wonder what tomorrow will bring??
xxx

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 20:13:36 »
Are you sure you didn't leave the shears outside lat time you were there? ;D

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 20:29:26 »
lol, that would be the logical (& preferable) explanation but no, sadly, deffo not!

I clearly remember placing them in the shed handle end down cos I was peed off that OH initially put them in  blade end down (I know  ::).... but allow me to be a wee bit precious about our shed floor for the first week....)

& even if we had accidentally left them out on the plot, someone would have had to have been on our plot to take them outside. We've not had the need to venture out of our gate with tools just yet - we've more than enough to be getting on with inside so we def didn't leave them where we found them!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 20:50:57 »
Glad to hear you are doing so well, at least you don't have to replace the shed lock!  :-X

syenson

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 15:06:09 »
Hi Lottie103,
                      Congrats on the plot at last another Marlborough rd lottie holder!  I've got plot 16 (half plot) ashamed to say haven't done much though apart from clearing because of work but will get some more done next week! Looks like you are doing really well good luck!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 18:59:03 »
hiya, syenson, welcome to the site  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal