Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Waterlogging

(1/1)

djstig:
Ive just been down to my plot after thje christmas period only to discover that there is a small pool of water in teh corner of one of my beds, and the rest of the bed is all squishy and sodden. >:(

When I dug the bed up I left a path between that one and the one next to it and I think this may have caused the drainage problem when the water hits the compacted earth on the not dug out bit???

How do you go about  making it drain better as I dont fancy growing rice for a while yet? Thanks in advance

Doris_Pinks:
djstig, I have a soggy bit on my lottie! What I have done is dug a trench for the water to gather at the end of the bed, and raised the bed with soil, seems to have worked.hope this helps......Dottie P. (in the really boggy areas of our plots, peeps have dug a trench all around their plots, a la moat!! And raised the soil level.)

djstig:
Thanks missus pinks i think what we decided to do was summat similar but as its been tipping it down for days theres not much point checking to see whether its worked or not. ::)

ill let you know whether your suggestion worked and if i need any more help ;D

The gardener:
djstg ! you don't mention what type of soil you have.

Like you I get the water & the bog that can suck your boots off but I don't mind this at all.

My ground is free draining, there is a bed of rock under the topsoil so by planting out time the problem has gone.

The other good thing it does is; it saturates the farm yard manure  I dug in last Oct/Nov  so I get off to a good start and watering is minimal if ever.

djstig:
Gardener I really am a novice and therefore dont really know what type of soil weve got, however the rest of the plot drains well so i was wondering whether it was something that we hadnt done to this particular bed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version