Author Topic: Artichoke varieties  (Read 1059 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
Artichoke varieties
« on: September 06, 2008, 05:38:22 »
I love the green globe artichokes I have at the moment but would like to try a purple variety. I'm thinking of ARTICHOKE VIOLETTO ROMANESCO from seeds of italy or VIOLET DE PROVENCE.

Can anyone tell me if these varieties will grow in Glasgow as well as my Green Globe?

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Re: Artichoke varieties
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:12:54 »
Sawfish I can't answer your question but I do have some seed if you would like to try just pm your address to me.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 19:23:34 »
Thanks Susiebell,

is there anything you're looking for I could send you?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 20:16:57 »
An Italian friend of mine, from Naples, grew them in the open between flagstones just behind her house where they were protected from the east wind and got maximum sunlight. We lived in St Andrews, just across the country from you, and, I think, colder.

My sister studied in Glasgow and her landlady used to say that the east coast lassies were never at their best in Glasgow, too warm and humid for them.....

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 21:38:32 »
Funny you should say that Artichoke, I'm from Aberdeen (east) and I wander about sweating all the time in humid Glasgow, you never seem to get the nice icy fresh winds over here.

Thats good to know about the 'chokes' though.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 22:57:01 »
I think that Romanesco should grow well in Glasgow, though you should provide some protection from the wet and cold during the first Winter.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal