Author Topic: peppercorns  (Read 873 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
peppercorns
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:25:43 »
Does anyone know if I could grow the blackpepper vine from the peppercorn seeds in my larder ???. Or would i have to buy seed.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: peppercorns
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:29:29 »
For black/white/green pepper (Piper Nigrum) You would have a higher chance of germination if you bought seed as a lot of imported peppercorns are treated with growth inhibitors, the seeds don't come up that often in the UK but there are numerous suppliers in the US. If you use peppercorns from your larder then make sure they are white ones as they are the only ones made from ripe berries which may stand a chance of germinating.

Pink/red pepper (Schinus Terebinthifolius) is hardy & very easy to grow although it ends up being a 25' tree.

You can also grow szechuan pepper (Zanthoxylum Simulans) it is the seedpod rather than the seed itself which is eaten but again it grows into a 25' tree.

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:58:26 »
HI You could check this out at
www.seedsofitaly.com

LE BIZZARRE - PEPPERCORNS (pre ordered for 2009)
Sold out for 2008. Please pre-order for 2009. This indoor variety for the UK is of course a tropical plant and would be suited in a warm conservatory or a sunny windowsill. The peppercorns are the classic ingredient to make Steak in green peppercorn sauce

£4.99

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 13:11:36 »
thanks for the info guys.
i will check out that website.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal