Author Topic: Where did blight hit??  (Read 11661 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Where did blight hit??
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2008, 13:32:57 »
Quote from: thifasmom link=topic=45373.msg456419#msg456419
[color=teal
oh i didn't realise there are allotments there, are there empty plots i would love to have one but i think it will be a little far for me to get there on a regular basis.[/color]

We're currently full, but the one next to me must be available soon, it is now just a sea of bindweed and I haven't seen anyone there for months. Their pumpkins have grown right across the path and onto my plot.

Lovely site, but is quite stony, full of ragstone, and has quite a bindweed issue, but then I'm in a bit being brought back into cultivation after ten years fallow.

stony and full of bindweed sounds like my garden ;) but i have finally started to win against the bindweed, but the stones are never ending >:(.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2008, 13:41:23 »
though i have no blight yet!! my neighbour who also has outdoor tomatoes has some blight as of last week he stripped and disposed of the leaves and only had to dispose of one whole plant the others seem to be holding their own and the fruits are still ripening beautifully. so cross everything hope it doesn't blow my way as my fruits are ripening at a slower rate, but i am still picking 3 to 5 per day.

tonyw

• Not So New ...
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2008, 14:26:15 »
mine were first hit in august.

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2008, 15:24:50 »
0utdoor planted in the ground, mixed varieties,went down with blight in July  :(

Outdoor in pots succumbed at the end of August  :'(

But so far GH OK

oh I'm in Doncaster by the way

Life is to short !!!

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2008, 16:04:26 »
thanks for the info guys

princescruffster

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2008, 18:38:09 »
Barnsley, South Yorkshire

Outdoor toms at allotment, but so far none at home or in greenhouse.  Some blighted potatoes were left unattended in a neighbouring plot so this didn't help.
Lost all tomatoes - mainly Roma.

X

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2008, 19:26:11 »
got me weeks ago here in the valleys, most of the greenhouse toms went  as the result of a leaking roof and the Anya pots got it , had blight resistant pots mainly this year from T&M ( we lost the lot last year  :(}and even a couple of them caught (markies I think they were) but the others were fine

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2008, 17:37:08 »
We are in Harrow, growing tomatoes outside on the lottie.  Mine were hit in the middle of August and I kept taking leaves off and taking out badly affected plants hoping against hope that I would get a crop.  In the event only the small tomatoes like gardeners delight ripened, I pulled all the remaining plants  out at the weekend.  There were pounds and pounds of big tomatoes but all of them had to be thrown away.
On the other hand, the beans have been marvellous.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2008, 01:08:18 »
Update on my earlier post, blight hit Upshire, Esssx, 12th Sep, south west side of site hit first, all outdoor plants.
As of 16th the north & east side is only just seeing signs.
Meant to add, potatoes not affected as they are all up now anyway.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2008, 07:00:19 »
Plymouth Devon,
   All outdoor toms from early august when i first noticed blight.All types.Came into G/H and hit 3plants, i used rainwater for watering.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2008, 09:03:37 »
I found this interesting (although others might not :) ) but in London, according to Blightwatch (potato blight monitors), Chiswick W6 which is immediately north of the Thames had far fewer Smith Periods than we did immediately south of the river in SW13 & SW15.   ???

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2008, 09:57:40 »
i have also found it interesting, which is why i am gathering the info, purely out of curiosity. here is an update on the blight map info and accompanying table.

here is a link to the map:

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/thifasmom/?action=view&current=blightmap.jpg

here is a link to the table:

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/thifasmom/?action=view&current=blighttable.jpg

Rosamundi

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2008, 20:29:08 »
Here is South Staffs my early potatoes were fine but my outdoor tomatoes were blighted 1st week in September lost all but 2 tomatoes  :-[

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2008, 20:55:54 »
Hi
    im in Northampton and have lost over 200 tomato plants to blight. Have saved some which were green and are trying to ripenen them in the garage. Runner beans have done very well and have nearly finished.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2008, 21:26:36 »
Hi
    I'm in Northampton and have lost over 200 tomato plants to blight. Have saved some which were green and are trying to ripenen them in the garage. Runner beans have done very well and have nearly finished.

may i ask what month did you lose them and i would like to say i am sorry to hear of your loss 200 plants that would completely level me emotionally me thinks :-\.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2008, 21:37:08 »
well i finally got it  :( but thank god for the fair weather we have been blessed with since the weekend cause i think it will help to slow things down. i only had to remove some leaves from two infected plants and sacrificed three green tomatoes to the frying pan. as a precaution i removed some other leaves from other plants and made sure to clean secateurs between each cut. so now its the final count down to the meltdown :-\ :-X :'(.

amphibian

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2008, 21:53:45 »
It occurred to me today that there must be a few pockets around the coast where blight is rarer, due to prevailing winds. For instance Brighton is the home of many of the UK's remaining Elms, simply because the high hills behind and the wind generally coming up to the channel, means windbourne diseases to not normally reach it from other parts of Britain or from the continent. I presume Brighton's properties should make blight less likely too.

Any Brghton residents?

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2008, 22:23:16 »
Hello
I got blight by the end of august (28th was the first real deaths)
Im in Moneyreagh in Northern Ireland (About 8 miles from the east coast )It affected my pink fir apples and my tamina outdoor tomatoes. Thankfully it was late enough for the pfas to have made good tubers already  but  all tomatoes but my sungold which are in a separate mini greenhouse were lost.

How many years are we going to keep saying well ill put some in becuae maybe it will be a dry summer.

Not hopeful , maybe we should start growing rice !
x sunloving :-*

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2008, 23:24:02 »
hi Sunloving if i did have a lottie i might of seriously lined a raised bed with pond liner, fill it with some really great growing medium and had a go a growing a bed of rice, just for the hell of it, but then after all the prep the summer would probably turn out to be one of the hottest :-\, wouldn't it? ;)

velorex

• Not So New ...
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2008, 15:34:04 »
I got it on my potatoes on Northampton allotment and on my tomatoes growing outside at home.

The neighbouring allotment to me had most of their (outside) tomatoes ravaged by blight.

I am thinking of getting Sarpo Mira potatoes next year.  But they are expensive compared to Desiree and others.

Clive

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal