Author Topic: Where did blight hit??  (Read 11459 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Where did blight hit??
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2008, 18:53:57 »
Can I still spray now? Mine are blight free at the mo. I'd like them to stay that way!

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2008, 18:13:41 »
I sprayed mine again today. You should be ok, just remember to check on the instructions how long you have to wait before picking. I picked some more before I sprayed to keep me going. Bordeaux isn't working for me at the moment, so I have graduated to the hard stuff - dithane. I didn't want to, and thought long and hard, but it was either that or lose everything again! Another tip - the sprays are only preventative, so if you do notice any leaves with blight its a good idea to take off the whole shoot, to try and stop it spreading.
Good luck!
KittyKatt

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2008, 19:16:21 »
Will do! Thanks for the tip! Now I do believe I have bordeaux and dilthane ...question is where? ::) ::) ???

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 19:17:49 »
We're in South West Wiltshire:  potatoes blighted in June; sprayed with Dithane and rescued most of them; moderate to good crop.
Tomatoes in greenhouse - one mile away from the lottie - was struck by blight in July. Lost two thirds of my plants: all beef tomatoes (Cuor di Bue), usually my pride and joy, went within a couple of days; the 10 passata tomato plants (San Marzano) produced no more than a handful of pitiful fruit; the cherry tomatoes (Principe Borghese) survived; I moved them outdoors (despite night time temperatures dipping) and we have been picking about 4 - 5 cherries a day. A humbling experience.

amphibian

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2008, 19:45:44 »
Right this year the blight has been bad again. I am trying to map out which were the most badly affected areas.
So

• Did you get blighted?

Not yet, fingers crossed.

[/list]
  • Where are you growing?

Maidstone, Kent (same as you)

• If tomatoes were affected, were they inside or outside?

Not affected but I grow everything outside.
[/list]

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2008, 10:10:08 »
hi amphibian, nice to meet another maidstone dweller, do you have an allotment or do you garden at home. i garden at home as there is a very long waiting list at the allotment closest to me, which is in Loose.
Keep well thifasmom.

manuel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2008, 10:30:48 »
We are in Bedford.
Blight has wiped out our outdoor toms on allotment, first noticed around August 30th. Potatoes are OK, but I am growing Sarpo which are blight resistant and Cara which also does well.

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
Norfolk tomato blight
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2008, 11:01:17 »
I got blight on my lotty tomatoes (Tamina first, then SubArctic Plenty) about 30th Aug. The Sungold were not affected, nor were my early spuds (the foliage had died down before the blight came)

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2008, 11:04:09 »
here is a sample of the info collected so far:
here is the link to the picture of the map so you all can see it in a larger form.

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/thifasmom/?action=view&current=blightmap.jpg

here is the link to the picture so you all can see it in a larger form.

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/thifasmom/?action=view&current=blighttable.jpg

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2008, 11:15:18 »
East Finchley, North London.  Blight hit my outdoor tomatoes in last week of August, although Ferline was more resistant to it than other varieties.  It did not affect my potatoes.
Allotment outdoor tomatoes were hit in last week of August but tomatoes in my garden were not - they were coming along very well. Now, as of today, the garden tomatoes have been hit too. Drat, dash, d**n and darnation.  :(
Keep Calm and Carry On

John_Pearce

• Not So New ...
  • Grow, grow, grow
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 14:20:19 »
Greenhouse tomatoes hit in SW London last week of August and now thoroughly destroyed though a reasonable crop before this for most of the smaller non-plum tomatoes.
Potatoes all OK....

John

JaseMac

• Not So New ...
  • Cuzco, Peru 2007
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2008, 14:34:23 »
Wolverhampton, West Midlands

Outdoor toms hit on allotment  :(

End August

Potatos already dug up and stored

Jason

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2008, 17:51:05 »
I'm in Nottingham

Only grow outdoor tomatoes - got blight first week in September. Have been spraying with bordeaux mixture every couple of weeks since July.

Not sure about my potatoes grown very nearby - they all died back very early (July), well before blight arrived on tomatoes, but did not look like blight and the tubers are fine. So am saying no blight on spuds, just wierd behaviour probably due to the weather.

My neighbour's toms are all dead as of today and I don't think they sprayed with anything. 

amphibian

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2008, 07:53:33 »
hi amphibian, nice to meet another maidstone dweller, do you have an allotment or do you garden at home. i garden at home as there is a very long waiting list at the allotment closest to me, which is in Loose.
Keep well thifasmom.

I garden at home and also have an allotment. Which site I use to grow blight susceptible crops doesn't really matter though, as my plot, on the aptly named Rocky Hill Allotments, is directly over my back fence.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2008, 12:45:46 »
Keep well thifasmom.

I garden at home and also have an allotment. Which site I use to grow blight susceptible crops doesn't really matter though, as my plot, on the aptly named Rocky Hill Allotments, is directly over my back fence.

oh i didn't realise there are allotments there, are there empty plots i would love to have one but i think it will be a little far for me to get there on a regular basis.

amphibian

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2008, 18:57:12 »
Quote from: thifasmom link=topic=45373.msg456419#msg456419
[color=teal
oh i didn't realise there are allotments there, are there empty plots i would love to have one but i think it will be a little far for me to get there on a regular basis.[/color]

We're currently full, but the one next to me must be available soon, it is now just a sea of bindweed and I haven't seen anyone there for months. Their pumpkins have grown right across the path and onto my plot.

Lovely site, but is quite stony, full of ragstone, and has quite a bindweed issue, but then I'm in a bit being brought back into cultivation after ten years fallow.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2008, 11:09:02 »
Blight now nearly across the board in the garden and allotment.  Noticed a neighbour at the allotment had very badly blighted toms he hadn't bothered to clear. (Will have words when I next see him).

Have cut plum tomato vine and hung upside down under the pergola in a probably vain attempt to get some to ripen.

tonyw

• Not So New ...
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2008, 12:24:58 »
had a bit of blight in my greenhouse toms here in sunny wigan (not)!, 6 plants went down with it, but the other 8 seem fine for now. fingers crossed!

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2008, 13:23:44 »
1st full year with my plot and luckily no blight. I live in Westcliff on Sea Essex and have grown tomatoes and early & late potatoes

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2008, 13:25:31 »
had a bit of blight in my greenhouse toms here in sunny wigan (not)!, 6 plants went down with it, but the other 8 seem fine for now. fingers crossed!
hi, may i ask what month were you affected?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal