Author Topic: LIDL SET TO LOSE MILLIONS  (Read 23708 times)

lavenderlux

• Acre
Re: LIDL SET TO LOSE MILLIONS
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 07:49:37 »
I like Aldi for their plants - like:
Collection of six plants (I think it was £3.99) last Autumn for winter hanging baskets/container - conifer, ivy, festuca grass, thyme, cyclamen (and one I can't remember) - all have done brilliantly and still looking good
Collection of summer hanging basket plants - my basket has been beautiful and still going strong
Pack of six Autumn flowering cyclamen in mixed colours - five out of six plants survived and are coming into flower again PLUS one of them produced a seed pod - saved and sowed the seeds and have twenty plus young cyclamen plants, don't think they'll flower this year but hopefully next

Also Lidl have good plant offers too - like six Box plants for (I think it was £2.99) - using these for topiary and have also taken cuttings from them.  They also did some reasonable quality secateurs for 99p earlier this year

I think, as in all shops, you need to 'pick out' what you think are the bargins for you

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 07:58:57 »
We have a great Lidl just up the road and we shop there every week but get a few bits from Asda.
The fruit and veggies are fresh in our store as they sell out every day !
I buy 20 cucumbers and 14 celery a week there as i need them for the guinea pigs !
When we first moved here i would not shop there ! now im used to there products its fine  :) 
I only went to M & S once and never again !! over priced, poor selection, and great if your to lazy to cook !!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 09:10:54 »
We love Lidls..........only certain stuff though! Their hams etc. are great, potato salad as said here fab, cheeses great prices, and I can highly recommend their chocolate covered raisins! ;) My sister has just told me that their pork n herb sausages are great, so will be trying them soon. I tend to go on recommendations as to whats good and bad in there. The main with problem with the veg at ours, is it dissapears so fast often none there when we get there!
Wine excellent price too, which is ahem, mainly why we shop there!
We top up with Morrisons and tescos, have a waitrose here, but can't afford to shop in it. :'( :'( :'(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 11:25:55 »

do my shopping at lidl west strand preston..go in every afternoon on my way home from the allotment
so i notice the price increases..tin steak 99p next day £1.38  a 39% increase  many items are now 50% even 100% more than last year....no wonder its quiet....but wait untill the end of the tradeing year
millions of pounds in profit down
throught greed

lets hope they keep the seeds at 29p a packet

This site is so great, now it even gives me share trading tips.  On the basis of the Zimbabwe style inflation on the cost of tinned Steak I shall follow mustavagander's financial projections and ditch my holdings in Lidl AG, maybe I'll invest in the Tinned Steak Commodity Market instead.
Best laid plans and all that

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 11:30:31 »
PMSL :D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

mustavagander

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 11:55:05 »
very funny rsisebedted
ive invested in corn beer...that gone up by 34p a can

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 12:04:09 »
I'm going for glokkenstakke, I have a tin in the cupboard for years just not sure what to do with it.  ;D
Best laid plans and all that

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 12:14:42 »
Why shop at Lidl or Aldi if you don't like their prices mustavagander? There are other stores who will take an even greater slice of your hard earned cash. Especially now with just about everything rising in price.

I do my main shop at Lidl and am always surprised at the amount of foodstuffs I get for my money. My top up shop is usually Somerfield and the odd visit to the out of town Morrison's where I have to use the car. Otherwise my shopping trolley and I are only 6 minutes on foot away from either Lidl or Somerfields. A healthy way to shop too!!

Tricia

mustavagander

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 12:38:15 »
ive been going to lidl every  day for the
  past 7 years   example large pile of lets say tuna @ 59p a can  next day same pile  but now 71p
its cost lidl nowt extra     you pay
i know all the supermarkets do this and if we spent just a little less in the store
they will come to realise   the customer is king

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 23:24:34 »

they will come to realise   the customer is king

Try telling that to the oil, electric and gas people.

mustavagander

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 00:26:35 »
o/k i will

you have missed the point

if you dont fight you dont win

power to the people   now

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 11:16:24 »
Can I ask something - what on earth is a tinned steak?

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 11:31:52 »
Instead of going to lidl every day why dont you venture into other stores and compare prices? I have seen tinned tuna for 23p in Asda (their own brand) and its something like 34p in Tesco, a lot cheaper than Lidl apparently?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 11:32:22 »

Stewed steak in gravy. It looks & smells like dog food but is allegedly fit for human consumption.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 11:34:05 »
Don't know either! Might investigate my local Lidl to find out!! ;D ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 11:57:07 »

Stewed steak in gravy. It looks & smells like dog food but is allegedly fit for human consumption.

I've suddenly lost my appetite  :o :o :o :o :o :o
The Tuscan Beaneater

pudding

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2008, 12:09:44 »
Perhaps this reflects a sea change in the way many of us shop - used to be people did just the one big weekly supermarket shop, but now it seems shopping selectively according to the best value for money for different things in different shops -  certainly I and many people I know do this, and shop locally in between or just manage with dried/tinned goods etc for a few days to cut those trips in the car to the supermarkets to one a month/six weeks instead of one a week. 

And LIDLs I love for their veg and fruit and cleaning products and seeds and flowers and special offers like fishing gear a couple of months ago - but you have to inspect everything you buy wherever you buy it, surely?  If some of the veg and fruit are tired I dont buy them, I buy ones that are ok, or go somewhere else or do without.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2008, 12:45:42 »
Has anyone else tried their frozen fish?  I use the boxed ones with 2 tuna or salmon steaks, each seperately vacuum packed so you can do them for one (when OH is away).  Also their boxed frozen King Prawns are good.  Have to say it beats the "fresh fish" counters offerings for freshness!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2008, 13:50:36 »
Yuk Yuk Yuk to Tinned Stewed Steak, can well imagine the fat content in the tins also what cut of the bullock did they use.   

I go to Lidls once a week - on a Sunday with OH.  He thoroughly enjoys browsing round for the gizbos on sale and has come away with Spirit level, pond pump, socket set etc. etc.  Their quality and price of fruit and veg are good and I like their Italian ice cream.  Shall be looking in this afternoon.  Shall check out this tinned stewed steak!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2008, 15:59:10 »
the sides of salmon are brilliant, for the price, lovely taste, too  ;D
mind you, only when we've guests  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal