Author Topic: Chilli Jam  (Read 7670 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Chilli Jam
« on: September 02, 2008, 22:41:26 »
Been looking for ways to use up the glut of chillies and toms so tried Sarah Raven's chilli jam recipe in this month's GW mag.  It is just the best!  Anyone else tried it?

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
Re: Chilli Jam
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 20:36:49 »
Oh yes ceres.  It's very morish !  Goes well with Tesco Value tortilla chips on a Friday night  ;D ;D 

I have her book and there are some excellent recipes in it.  I can also recommend the Apple, Plum and Chilli Jelly which warms you up nicely spread on toast on a cold morning!  And I was pleasantly surprised by her broad bean pate when I decided to do something different with a batch of them in the summer.

The book used to be available from the book people at the best value, but not sure if they've still got it.  I also get her catalogue sent to me for some reason, but I never buy anything as everything is really expensive!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 21:30:12 »
Come on then you little monkeys post up the recipe please.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 21:41:18 »
Thanks pippy.  You've convinced me to get the book.  I have to try that jelly!

Here's the jam:

500g very ripe tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, peeled
4 large red chillies (leave the seeds in if you like it HOT!)
6-7cm root ginger, sliced
300g golden caster sugar
2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
100ml red wine vinegar

Blitz half the tomatoes with the garlic, chillies and ginger in a food processor.  Pour into a heavy-based saucepan and add the sugar, fish sauce and vinegar.  Bring to the boil, stirring slowly.  Reduce to a simmer.  Dice the remaining tomatoes finely and add to the pan.  Simmer for 30-40 mins or until the mixture has darkened and reduced to a sticky consistency, stirring occasionally.  Pour into warm sterilised jars and seal while still warm.  The longer you keep the jam, the hotter it will get.  Keeps for approx. 3 months in the fridge.

pippy

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 21:57:25 »
Yes - it is very good and has some lovely recipes.  A quick look shows Book peple don't have it any more, but Waterstones or Amazon seem reasonable.  It's one of the few cookery books I've had where I can't count the number of recipes I've tried and repeated on my fingers!  Must make it worth having.

The only thing I would say to be wary of is the number of jars she says her jam recipes make.  She must use tiny jars or something as mine always come out a lot less jars.

I can send you the jelly one or post it if you need it soon?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 22:14:36 »
Thanks, pippy.  If you could post the jelly recipe, that would keep me going until the book is delvered as my apple tree is ready for picking.  I never pay all that much attention to how many jars etc.  Mine are all different sizes anyway!

pippy

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 22:27:43 »
Plum, Apple and Chilli Jelly

900g Bramley or crab apples, roughly chopped
900g plums, stoned
1.7 litres water

Put these in a large pan, bring to boil, simmer for 1 hour
Add 175ml cider vinegar and boil for 5 mins.
Strain overnight though a jelly bag or muslin (don't squeeze it - the jelly goes cloudy)

Measure the liquid and add 450g sugar for every 570ml of juice.  Return to the large pan, slowly dissolve the sugar and boil for 20 mins + (until setting point).  Leave to stand for 20 mins, then stir in 3-4 chillies chopped or cut into rings (looks prettier!).  Pour into jars and seal.

P.S. It comes out a lovely rose colour!  Bit like crab apple jelly.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 12:04:28 »
Another Chilli Jelly based on cooking apples (so no need for pectin)

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,34022.msg340259.html#msg340259

The original recipe is by E-J (Emma Jane) - third post on the thread

I included sweet peppers to add to the colour and a few other things like lemon grass and Kaffir Lime leaves. I also added all the chillis and peppers to the original mix (by accident because I was making it from memory  :)).

As E-J says the crucial point is one pound of sugar for one pint of liquid

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal