Author Topic: blight and tomatoes  (Read 10076 times)

Kingfisher

• Half Acre
  • My Allotment
Re: blight and tomatoes
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 22:03:57 »
Reading all these threads about blight on tomato plants.
I have one question does any one have plants without blight. That are healthy
and producing good fruit currently. I can not be only one without blight problems.

I wonder what I am doing different then every one else on this board.
Since my plants are doing amazing. I just picked 4 kg of ripe fruit of 5 of my plants.

My plants at home are doing realy well but a bit slow in rippening, my plants at the allotment all have blight, the only difference between the two, is the ones at home I check morning and night for any discolouration to the leaves as soon as there is any change I pick them off, I think this as saved them from getting blight

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 22:04:18 »
Reading all these threads about blight on tomato plants.
I have one question does any one have plants without blight. That are healthy
and producing good fruit currently. I can not be only one without blight problems.

I wonder what I am doing different then every one else on this board.
Since my plants are doing amazing. I just picked 4 kg of ripe fruit of 5 of my plants.

A brit would us POUNDS AND OUNCES for a start!!!!.
Sorry but you are wrong - a brit might use pounds and ounces but might use grams and kilograms - as a teacher I tend to be metric but am interchangeable.  An American will use pounds and ounces as that is still the standard over there.  A European will use metric only.

I would also suggest that NBG's suggested use of chemicals to beat blight in another thread also differentiates him/her from  TheGreatGardener/GridGardener who can be seen elsewhere in the forum.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 22:07:27 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 13:00:14 »
If you're going to call yourself 'nasty gardener', you're asking for it. Your spelling, and the lack of information in your posts, are certainly reminiscent of others who've been referred to. You meantion people with distinctively American names ('Chuck'), and use US spelling. I can't help thinking that 'nastybritishgardener' is a dig at us.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 20:24:46 »
At the moment anyone that comes on here (genuine troll or not) and says something even slightly controversial gates a hale of abuse, its like a witch hunt! troll, troll - burn em! burn em!

Its easy for Dan to check if people are using more than one account as your IP address is logged every time you post....

BTW - all my Tom's are shafted with blight - so Greyhound its coming your way I'm afraid...

Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 20:50:13 »
Being a supporter of the EU(and I tell lies) I always ask for 454mls when I go to the pub ;D

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 21:53:31 »
At the moment anyone that comes on here (genuine troll or not) and says something even slightly controversial gates a hale of abuse, its like a witch hunt! troll, troll - burn em! burn em!

Yep, I agree, the sight of the circling pack is quite disturbing.

BTW - all my Tom's are shafted with blight - so Greyhound its coming your way I'm afraid...

B*gger.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 21:56:14 »
Being a supporter of the EU(and I tell lithe one thates) I always ask for 454mls when I go to the pub ;D
Ah well! as a committed European I ask for a beer - sometimes specifying the shade - and leave the barman to specify quantity and quality available. Then I select the one that appeals. Could be a pint of Caley 80 (small Scottish brewery) or 500ml of Trappist beer/ stella/ or other. Depends on my mood and what they have.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2008, 22:55:22 »
Even if they metricate the quantity of beer in this country then I still think we will be ordering pints - they will just be metric pints.  Anyway, metric has nothing to do with the EU - invented during the French revolution and it's introduction in the UK pre-dated our membership.  Also, cannot see why anybody is opposed to it - it is so simple it is unbelievable - and it is based on natural factors:

for instance 1kg is the weight of 1 litre of water at sea level

Mass:
1kg = 1000g
1 tonne = 1000kg

Length:
1m = 1000mm
1km = 1000m

Capacity/Volume:
1l = 1000ml

Money:
£1 = 100p
etc

or

Mass:
16 drams = 1 ounce
16 ounces = 1 pound
7 pounds = 1 clove
14 pounds = 1 stone
28 pounds = 1 tod
112 pounds = 1 hundredweight
364 pounds = 1 sack
2240 pounds = 1 ton
2 stones = 1 quarter
4 quarters = 1 hundredweight
20 hundredweight = 1 ton

Length:
1 nail = 2¼ inches
4 inches = 1 hand
12 inches = 1 foot
3 foot = 1 yard
5.5 yards = 1 rod
6 foot = 1 fathom
22 yards = 1 chain
100 links = 1 chain
10 chains = 1 furlong
8 furlongs = 1 statute mile
6080 foot = 1 nautical mile

Capacity/Volume:
60 minims = 1 fluid drachm
8 fluid drachms = 1 fluid ounce
20 fluid ounces = 1 pint
4 gills = 1 pint
2 pints = 1 quart
4 quarts = 1 gallon
2 gallons   = 1 peck
4 pecks = 1 bushel
8 bushels = 1 quarter
36 bushels = 1 chaldron

Money:
12 pennies = 1 shilling
20 shillings = 1 pound
two and a half pennies   2 ½d    tuppence-ha'penny
two and three quarter pennies   2 ¾d    tuppence three farthing
four pennies   4d   fourpence
two shillings   2/-   two shillings, or two bob
eight shilling and four pence   8/4   eight and fourpence

Mind boggling - and that is just a summary.  I shall leave it to you to explain Mr Smith as you love imperial (and archaic term for an archaic system) so much.  Me, I would much rather teach metric to the children in my class so I actually have time to teach them something else too.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 23:48:29 »
You missed out firkin.   ;D

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 23:51:57 »
All I know is it's firkin complicated! ;D

nastybritishgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008, 23:59:07 »
Still blight free.
But to put thread back on track.

What do intend do next year to prevent blight.

Which cups are you refuring USA,AU,UK  or SA.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2008, 07:46:02 »
Working in metric (ie) cutting and fixing anything you will always get a bettter fit, also the Japanese after WW2  when they poached our motor cycle industry re-tooled with metric  machine tools which gave  better quality machine parts for motor bikes and produced bikes that did not leak oil for an example, Keef just stay very left of centre with any opinion on here and you will be in the La, La club in no time  ;D  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:51:58 by Mr Smith »

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2008, 08:19:54 »
Being a supporter of the EU(and I tell lies) I always ask for 454mls when I go to the pub ;D
They should refuse to sell you that, a pint is defined by the weights & measures act as 568ml or an EU pint is 500ml. You will have to get them to serve it it by the joug (scottish pint, 1696ml) so you can catch up on the beer you've missed out on.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2008, 08:46:45 »
Mr Baccy,
            Thanks for that I will certainly sort that out and I only have a pint in our local Conservative Club ;)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2008, 09:47:54 »
Still blight free.
But to put thread back on track.

What do intend do next year to prevent blight.

Which cups are you refuring USA,AU,UK  or SA.

last yr as i said before was really bad for me with blight so this year i tried a covered solution see this post: http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,44646.msg446821.html#msg446821
but my neighbour also grew outside toms which are uncovered and is also blight free so it might just be this year is a safe year for us thus far :-\ but will continue to use the covered method in the years following as it does keep the worst of the rains off.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 10:21:36 »
I registered with the site blightwatch.co.uk to receive an sms and email when blighty conditions are in my post code area.  I started probably too late for this season, and had three messages in all, they have stopped the messages now until next year.

Next year I will certainly be more proactive with the Bordeaux mix and picking off suspect leaves, hopefully we will be less busy (we always say that) and have more time to do it.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008, 18:03:43 »
Yes when I moved here the imperial system was my biggest nightmare. The UK was supposed to have changed to metric but I was expected to order stuff using measurements i didn't understand because shops couldn't/wouldn't measure (buying fabric for sewing) or weigh stuff in metric. I got stubborn and persistently asked in metric and they would get out conversion factors to translate the measurements. I suspect I lost out financially doing this but at least when the use of metric became law I knew what I wanted while everybody else had to convert!

When I started school I had about about 6 months of inches and feet etc before we changed to decimal. It is so much easier.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2008, 18:09:56 »
So while everyone is discussing cups...tell me how much is a cup?

In NZ it's 8 fl. ounces.

This why metric is better, but my NZ recipes have cups and teaspoons etc and it's easy to forget which is what.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2008, 18:44:09 »
Like RedClanger says it was a frog that fell off the toilet seat rather than the great Mr Newton and came up with something that was bloody obivious to the rest of the world like working in multiples of tens, I like being complicated and will keep on asking for a dozen brown Luv which is for a chucky eggs on our Saturdays Farmers market :)

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2008, 20:13:17 »
Like RedClanger says it was a frog that fell off the toilet seat rather than the great Mr Newton and came up with something that was bloody obivious to the rest of the world like working in multiples of tens, I like being complicated and will keep on asking for a dozen brown Luv which is for a chucky eggs on our Saturdays Farmers market :)
Ah, but one Newton is the equivalent 'weight' of a mass of one gram subjected to sea level gravity ;D

redclanger - from the county where gravity and rainbows were invented ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 20:15:45 by redclanger »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal