Author Topic: Green tomatoes - but NOT chutney?  (Read 24027 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Green tomatoes - but NOT chutney?
« on: August 31, 2008, 16:53:27 »
....looking at the blight thread, etc......I've SO many green toms now, stripped from blight-afflected plants - but I really really don't 'do' chutney...Branston Pickle is Wondrous Stuff  IMO, but for me it starts and ends there.....so....

anything else, please?

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Green tomatoes - but NOT chutney?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 17:25:00 »
The following might be all right for any cherry tomatoes you have:=

PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES

This German recipe calls for green tomatoes ‘small enough to eat whole’, which means growing them deliberately and picking the clusters of small fruit while they are still green, firm and fresh.  One of the best varieties to grow is the cherry tomato called Gardener’s Delight.  This has the great advantage that the skins of the fruit are unlikely to split.

This is an extraordinary pickle.  Once you have tasted it you will never again forget that the tomato really is a fruit.  It goes well with cheese, even better with pâtés and terrines.

Makes about 5lb (2.2kg)

5lb (2.25kg) green tomatoes, 1 inch (2.5cm) diameter maximum, stems removed
2 pints (1.2 litres) malt vinegar
6 cloves
1 x 1 inch (2.5cm) cinnamon stick
˝ small nutmeg or 2 blades mace)
pinch salt
1 lb sugar
1 pint (600ml) white wine vinegar

Place the tomatoes in a large pan with the malt vinegar.  Stir very gently and bring to the boil, then strain immediately.  (The malt vinegar can be thrown away or saved for making chutney.)  Tip the tomatoes very carefully into a bowl, taking care not to split the skins.

Boil the cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg or mace, salt and sugar with the wine vinegar in a separate pan, then pour hot over the tomatoes.  Cover and leave for 24 hours.

On the third day, heat the tomatoes and the liquid together, but do not boil.  Lift out the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and pack them carefully into warmed jars.  Throw out any that have accidentally split their skins because they will ruin the effect of the pickle.

Reduce the liquid until it turns slightly syrupy, then strain off the spices and pour the cooling pickle over the tomatoes, making sure they are completely covered.  Cover and store for 3 months before opening.

If any of the tomato skins split, I just peel them rather than throwing them out. ;D waste not want not.

It's a variation on a theme of pickled onions.

I do agree with you about Branston.  Whilst I've made Delia's old Dowerhouse and green tomato chutneys, they can't hold a candle to Branston.  Their baked beans, brown sauce and tomato ketchup are as good, if not better than Heinz, IMHO  ;D

valmarh

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 17:36:45 »
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU 8) 8) 8)

Love the look of that and just know it'll hit the spot(ps don't think I'll have to get the tape measure out to see if they meet minimum requirements)  ;D

AND I've got all the ingredients to hand!

Guess I'm gonna be busy tonite...

Very many thanks again for a Jewel of a Recipe, Valmarg

Lishka :-*

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 17:55:58 »
You mean........

[attachment=1]

And fried, of course.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 18:10:20 »
think mine will be a larger jar - with smaller toms Tim ;D

so...this recipe's a fave of yours, too? I'm really thrilled to have it 8)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 18:19:19 »

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
I googled Green Tomatoes ...
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 18:45:37 »
I googled Green Tomato Recipes and got this: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/season-taste/green-tomato-recipes_21898.html

I have picked 12 lbs of green tomatoes from my blighty Taminas and SubArctic Plenty tomatoes.  Just need to get me some pickling jars now

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 16:06:21 »
2 kgs of very small green tomatoes (tigerella and black plum - if they'd ripened, taken because blight has hit here too!) now sitting in a bowl in my kitchen, soaking up the flavours in the vinegar. 

I'd been looking everywhere for something else to do with green tomatoes - and this seems such a good idea, shame I have to wait the three months before trying them though!  Many thanks Valmarg!   :)

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 16:44:04 »

how about this soup  (hope the link works, first time Ive done one  :-\)

it is yummy,  I've got loads in the freezer,just what we need today :(

http://www.recipezaar.com/141324
Life is to short !!!

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 16:52:12 »
I do agree with you about Branston.  Whilst I've made Delia's old Dowerhouse and green tomato chutneys, they can't hold a candle to Branston.  Their baked beans, brown sauce and tomato ketchup are as good, if not better than Heinz, IMHO  ;D

valmarh

Yuck! I wouldnt touch that insipid jar of rubbish, if you cant make a chutney to better that then I think you need to look further than Delia.
rbt
Best laid plans and all that

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 20:58:06 »
Last year I made mine into a curry base. It was ok but that was all. No recipe I'm afraid; I'm another of those who cooks by ear.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 21:07:38 »

valmarh

Yuck! I wouldnt touch that insipid jar of rubbish, if you cant make a chutney to better that then I think you need to look further than Delia.
rbt
Which one is " that insipid jar of rubbish"?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 21:47:23 »
I have earlier on put on my recipes for fried green toms (2 types)and a pie filling to make a sweet/cinnamon flavoured "fruit". XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 23:22:19 »

valmarg

rbt
Which one is " that insipid jar of rubbish"?

None in my book grawrc.  I enjoy making pickles, and they are usually very good, but every so often the Philistine in me creeps out, and I do so love Branston pickle. ;D ;D ;D

valmarg

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 06:23:40 »
Me too Valmarg! I was just trying to work out which one RBT meant. Personally I'm extremely fond of Delia's Dowerhouse, as is the whole family, but I do adjust the spice and sugar levels. We do a lot of Indian/Pakistani food  and chutney goes extremely well with that. For me Branston Pickle is more of a ploughman's accompaniment.

Off to my plot later and hoping to bring home tomatoes - green or otherwise! Work has been very busy so I haven't been for a bit. Let's hope I don't find a soggy blighted mess.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 23:00:58 »
Grawrc, when I refer to the 'philistine' in me, going back to childhood memories - slices of cold meat, mashed potato and loads of pickle, preferably Branston, and plenty of baked beans.  Also a dollop of piccallili. and a few slices of beetroot.

OH says 'don't be so disgusting', but there are some childhood tastes that are superb.  Well, very enjoyable. ;D

valmarg

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 12:57:52 »
Try this link for more ideas - especially sweet ones!  The pie one worked quite well, the jam one - well .... not my favourite!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Fruits-and-Vegetables/Vegetables-N-Z/Tomatoes/Green-Tomatoes/Main.aspx

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 18:34:18 »
They do turn red if left, picked.

In fact that is how we get our imported tomatoes.

They pick them green and let them ripen on the journey.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 15:35:24 »
They do turn red if left, picked.

In fact that is how we get our imported tomatoes.

They pick them green and let them ripen on the journey.

How long do you leave them and in what conditions? Is this true of plants that have been effected by blight?

went to the allotment at the weekend to discver all 30 of our tomato plants have been struck down in the last week, all heavily laden with ROMA plum tomatoes, was going to make oodles of passata for the freezer  :(

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 15:41:01 »
Years ago I picked the green toms and put them into single layers.I then put a couple of apples in the box with them.They ripened very quickly. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal