Author Topic: Green tomatoes - but NOT chutney?  (Read 24067 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Green tomatoes - but NOT chutney?
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 18:48:46 »
To answer your question Daisymay it depends how far the blight has spread in the plant. If it has reached the tomatoes and you keep them to ripen, they will rot. If you have picked them before the blight travels down the stem then they'll ripen successfully.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 13:41:22 »
I'd been looking everywhere for something else to do with green tomatoes - and this seems such a good idea, shame I have to wait the three months before trying them though!  Many thanks Valmarg!   :)

I was quoting the recipe.  You may well, just have to try them before then 'to see how they're getting on.'  :o :o ;D

valmarg

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 09:52:12 »
Here's a couple of recipes from Lindsey Bareham's brill book - The Big Red Book of Tomatoes.
Ther is a separate chapter on green toms.

1 Lemon & Green tomato sauce with creme fraiche

A refreshing sauce for past or poached chicken

25g butter
1 garlic clove pounded to a past with a lpinch of salt
450g green toms, cored, peeled & chopped
zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
1tbsp caster sugara food processor with the yoghurt/creme fraich & blitz. Pass through a sieve
150g Greek yoghurt or creme fraicke
salt

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, cook briefly until aromatic(?), then add the toms. Put in the lemon zest & sugar, then cook briskly for a few minutes until the tomatoes soften. Tip contents of pan into a food processor & blitz.
Pass throuh a sieve then taste & adjust seasoning to taste.

2.  Green Tomato Tarte Tatin (courtesy of Gary Rhodes)

olive oil
6 green toms halved through middle
salt & pepper
a thingy of butter
1 tsp demerara sugar
100-175g puff pastry

pre-heat oven to 230cC gas 8

Heat an ovenproof frying pan with a trickle of olive oil. Season the cut surface of the tomato halves with salt & pepper & place, cut side down in a circular pattern, filling the pan .
Increase the heat so the toms fry not stew. After 1 minute, add the butter & sprinke with the sugar. Continue to fry for a minute or two, shaking the pan occasionally so the toms are evenly coated with butter. They will have started to caramelize. Remove the pan from the heat & leave to cool.
Now roll out the pastry to a 20 cm circle. Place on top of the cooled tomatoes, pressing lightly to take the shape of the tomato border. Bake for 15-20 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden. remove from oven, put a plate over the pastry and invert to turn out the tart.
If liked, brush with a little more butter, sprinkle with extra sugar and flash under the grill till it is bubbling.
Serve immediately.

Gary reckons it's good with a dressing made from 4tbsp olive oil, 1tbsp balsamic vinegar, 4tbsp soured cream & a squeeze of lemon or lime juice plus a few torn leaves of basil some slices of red onion & parmesan shavings.

not tried either  yet but I will as they both sound yummy and I'm gonna have loads of greenies.
Terri

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 12:59:40 »
No more delish green tom recipes for me, please! Such a shame cos 'pain's lemon & green tom sauce with creme fraiche reads really well but I don't have any green ones left 8) After making Valmarg's pickled ones, I laid the rest, single layer, between newspaper....6 boxes, 2 layers per box....shoved them under a bed - and went on holiday for 9 days. Result!!! Wonderful ripened toms of all varieties with just a few to throw away, and some are still ripening now.

And I'm going to stuff my 450g woppa tonight :D

Many thanks from me to you all, tho. Just knew that there must be something a bit more inspiring than chutney to make with them - and boy! you've proved me right ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal