Author Topic: Fudge recipe  (Read 6504 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Fudge recipe
« on: September 07, 2008, 22:34:02 »
The autumn show is looming and one of my homewares entries will be fudge.  I have several recipes which make the grainy textured fudge, which I hate and I am trying to find a recipe for a creamy, more caramel like one.  Any ideas?  However, I will probably make the traditional grainy one for the show as the WI judges hate anything 'different'.

Thanks.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Fudge recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:16:07 »

I am sorry I do not have the proper quantities or method it was an American friend who told me. She said made it and told us it was just a couple of cups of marshmallows a tin of condensed milk and a bar of bitter chocolate.

It wont be a true fudge but it did taste good

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 15:39:14 »
I've never made any fudge myself but doing a quick search on "how to make creamy, soft fudge", came up with this list of ideas - hope one of them is of use.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,how_to_make_fudge,FF.html

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 16:06:14 »
Vanilla fudge was the first thing I learnt to make, it came from a recipe in "Modern Cookery Illustrated" - a birthday present from my older sister to my mother - - - in 1948!!!!!

I can remember it was really smooth, VERY sweet but delish.  Amazing, my mother used to leave me alone in the kitchen to get on with it - all that boiling sugar, my goodness. I remember one time I was distracted and it burnt - but that actually added to the taste!
[attachment=1]
The Tuscan Beaneater

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 18:38:18 »
Never knew there were so many fudges! Obviosly, we're out on a limb here because we like it grainy - with a bit of character.

No recipe seems to recognise this, other than to say keep stirring for the 'proper stuff'?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:00:32 »
This is a bit late for your show I'm afraid, and must admit that the only fudge I make is the grainy sort but softer than normal.
I make mine like this: a tin of evap made up to one pint with a little water, 250g butter, 1kg sugar and if I want chocolate flavour then 30g of cocoa stirred in after its come off the heat. Sugar to be thoroughly dissolved in the butter and milk on a low heat, then bring to boil at 115 degrees C, turn off the heat, beat until it dulls but is still pourable, pour into a flat tin and mark squares out with a thin knife when partially set.
As I understand it, to get a really creamy soft fudge, you have to add some glucose syrup to the standard mix, heat to only 113 degrees C and not beat the fudge. I may have a go this week, and if it works will let you know.

bohemiabones

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 20:13:24 »
i used to own a small toffee and fudge factory - you need to add glucose syrup (and the right type) to get the right consistency and the essential ingredient is bakers fondant added after the max temp is reached, which creates the grain throughout the end product. i find fudge without the grain sickly and so do most people- we used to make and sell an average of  2 tons of grainy fudge a week. the secret ingredient of delicious fudge (and toffee) is salt - not enough to taste it at all, but to bring out the flavours.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 22:58:35 »
I made a creamy fudge from an american recipe using heavy cream, and it was dreamy, a lovley light colour and no grainy bits.  I find grainy fudge as sickly as can be and never ever buy it as it sets my teeth on edge, but the judge at the show went on and on about how delicious and what a wonderful texture my fudge was that I tried it and yes, fab.  Must have been good, it won first prize.  Thanks for your help.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal