Author Topic: I have small melons!  (Read 2579 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
I have small melons!
« on: August 16, 2004, 22:54:36 »
Well, one actually.  Tis about the size of a pingpong ball, and is residing in my greenhouse.  What do you think the chances are of it ripening?

Chantenay

• Half Acre
Re:I have small melons!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 10:31:52 »
I reckon very high - mine was that size a week ago and now is twice that. Are you able to build a little hammock to support it as it grows - it will get quite heavy soon.
Chantenay.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 11:19:50 »
I don't have any :'(
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 11:52:34 »
SOOOOOOOOPER!  I shall support it, water it and love it!  Hope it isn't as slow to get going as my toms were in the greenhouse!  Mind you, I only noticed it at the weekend, I am sure it wasn't there before, so it has already grown like the clappers.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 11:54:05 »
 ;D (sorry just me being evil aqui again!)
gone to pot :D

Bloody Ploughman

• Not So New ...
  • When does summer arrive in Scotland?
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 15:33:29 »
Hi Emma Jane,

Have just read your message and thought I  would check on my two plants and heh I've also got a melon, about the size of my hand.  Isn't life grand?  Thank you for making me check them more thoroughly, as it was hiding under a leaf I hadn't noticed it.
Productive gardening
from
Bloody Ploughman

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 15:53:39 »
 :) EJ - thank you for reminding ME - after nearly 3 weeks away i ventured to the weed growing area, oops lottie, at lunchtime and waded through the polytunnel and pulled apart the triffid like leaves below and voila! Melons!  :o 12 of them from 5 plants!  :o Biggest at cricket ball size - rest look like kiwi fruits at the moment! Looks like the hardwork may, just may, have been worth it!!! For the record they were Passport variety growing indoors hardened off and growing on small polytunnel until about a month ago when they outgrew it!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 19:21:06 »
yummy-melons that is-all gone now.this year is so weird-melons were perfect and yet even now my toms are struggling.

Stephan

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 20:06:49 »
And if you can't do them. who can?? = Tim

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 21:09:16 »
Sorry to hear about your small melons!!! ;D
You could use a bra as a hammock :-X

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 21:49:13 »
Code: [Select]
http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/_cqr/qp/qp.adp/savemypage/andya2b/myhomepage/thingstodo.html?cc=uk

testing testing

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 21:50:34 »
Oh well! that was an attemp to get a picture of my new yellow melon on the net but failed miserably...

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 00:48:59 »
Hi all,
Mine still got nothing come up yet. Can't wait any more. But my Cape gooseberry are doing well. Does anybody had that growing?

Yuet

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 22:47:02 »
Hi Yuet, yup, I have cape goosberry's taking over the greenhouse!  I love them, and am the only one in this family that does, as is the case with nearly everything I grow, so will probably stand in my greenhouse, on a rainy day, smiling, listening to the weather, and pick and eat them all by myself!  ;D

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2004, 19:07:10 »
Hi EJ,
This is my first year on lottie. My cape gooseberry not very tall witha lot of branches,but the bloke next to me which I gave him one.His one reached to top of greenhouse. And keep asked me 'how big will they get to? ' I have no idea because I ever have one before. Everything down in my lottie are first time I try them. Did they got a lot of fruits per plant on yours?Some of mine just finish flowers.How long does them fruits taketo be ready? Will they die after season? Sorry EJ I have so many question!

Yuet

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal