Author Topic: How long should you get to turn a wilderness into '75% cultivated'?  (Read 5414 times)

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
Re: How long should you get to turn a wilderness into '75% cultivated'?
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 08:55:14 »
I've only just seen this thread so sorry for jumping in a bit late. I think the council are being fairly harsh. I took my plot on in June, and have so far managed to dig over about 3/4 of the plot and mark out beds etc. I have a few things growing, but not massive amounts yet (need to do a bit of autumn planting out) and I still have 1/4 plot untouched (just marked where the beds will go), although it's covered and the weeds are under control.

I achieved all of this with massive of amounts of hard work - down there every night after work and also most weekends. I was also lucky to have help from my brother and OH to put up a fence and shed for me. If I'd had responsibilities at home that had stopped me going down there all evening every evening then I would never have got as far as I have. Not everyone is able to spend every non-working minute tending their plot, and I think it's unreasonable of the council to expect you to have 75% cultivated just a few months after taking on an overgrown plot.

I say get down to their offices, ring them, get some support from your committee (if you have one), and if you have any, show them photos of your progress. Good luck, I hope they start to see sense.

xx

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: How long should you get to turn a wilderness into '75% cultivated'?
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 10:14:50 »
The chances are that the Council have simply walked around the site marking any plots that aren't substantially cultivated as neglected. When I accompanied our inspection committee I often had to point out that gardens had only recently been taken and shouldn't be reported. My bet is that a simple letter pointing out that you are recovering an overgrown plot will get you 'off the hook'.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal