Author Topic: Ants in maincrop spud ridges  (Read 1459 times)

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
Ants in maincrop spud ridges
« on: August 29, 2008, 18:38:55 »
Does anyone else get ants nests and eggs in their earthed up maincrop spuds?  I've found it twice now and it puts the kids off firtling for the spuds (one of their favourite jobs).  There are eggs in there too, and the earth is quite hot. 

It doesn't seem to affect the spuds - they aren't eating them or anything so it isn't major, but it does put the kids off a bit.  Any advice?
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: Ants in maincrop spud ridges
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 11:16:28 »
Pippy,
          I think its part and parcel and nature of having an allotment to have  ants, slugs and vermin plus all the various insects we get  :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 11:21:09 »
I have lost count of the amount of ants nests I have disturbed this year both on the lottie and in customers gardens.It just seems a bad year for ants.

They are over you so quickly.Had one go down my top the other day,cheeky blighter,Jim and I had a lot of fun retrieving him :o ::)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 11:43:53 »
I know it will take up a bit of room, but plant Tansy on your plot strategically. It is said to repel ants. I have put a plant where we had a huge nest last year (and since we moved to this house....4 years) The ants have not appeared there at all this year.

Be careful though it can become a weed, I take the flowers off before they set seed unless I want additional plants :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:26:11 »
Yes - asked around at the plot and quite a few people get them so I guess it's just a fact of life (or nature!).

Thanks for the Tansy tip star _ I'll try that out next year! 
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal