Author Topic: corn all gone  (Read 3176 times)

silly billy

• Acre
Re: corn all gone
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 23:05:01 »
I have worked with badger protection groups in Surrey for a number of years and badgers do eat corn. They ate mine in our 1st year of having an allotment but I havent lost any for the last 2 years because I have protected them with chicken wire.

Sorry about your sweetcorn Kingfisher I have 70 sweetcorn plants and already some have disappeared but not by Badgers but *fatherless children* hope to be picking the first this weekend :)
How can you have a fatherless child?
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Kingfisher

• Half Acre
  • My Allotment
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 22:31:47 »
I,m afraid it,s a them against us thing all the time in this game ! with me this year it,s carrots :'( I think it must have been a rabbit bit them all off as soon as they were 2" tall. I resowed but it was too late for any decent size ones
I used bottles last year and have just put them on this years crop as 2 have already been got at. I cut the neck off a 2ltr bottle them slit it down 1 side so it just slips on the cobb.I found it best cut 2 of the nobbly bits off the base just to let some air in. here is a pic of them last year

and here is the difference it made (the nibbled one didn,t have a bottle on it)

hope this helps
marg
Thank you for that I will try this as I do have a couple left, the ones that where not ripe enough to eat Cheers for that

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 09:01:06 »
Fecking rats had a lot of mine last year, I actually saw the filthy barstard on the corn, this one wasn't nibbling it the dirty vermin was scratching it to pieces then eats it off the floor, barstard. Bottles are at the ready and going on today as I have a couple that have been malested already.  >:( :(       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 19:36:57 »
Badgers had mine too, my own fault really, happened last year so constructed half a barrier and forgot to do the rest  ::)

Nevermind, will REALLY learn that lesson for next year...    ;D

ps, runners and climbing beans have also been awful this year, glad that this year is not my first or may have given up!

Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal