Author Topic: Garden incinerator recipes?  (Read 3928 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Garden incinerator recipes?
« on: September 02, 2008, 23:44:28 »
Have been burning loads of stuff in a garden incinerator (bin-type) and I'm sure some better use could be made of it. Have any of you used these for cooking? Am wondering if it could be sunk in a shallow hole in the ground
which is lined with stones to keep it hot, to roast potatoes and/or pieces of meat around it? I'm sure Ray Mears would know what to do!

Ren1

• Not So New ...
Re: Garden incinerator recipes?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:28:21 »
hi

we have used ours for all bits of cooking - although have just used heat from the burning we have been doing,

Jacket spuds, wrap in tinfoil and put in a cage in fire - we made one out of the chicken wire stuff we were using in garden - this helps you get spuds back out! As they are wrapped in foil spuds can go in when fire is v. hot.

Have created a bbq effect - again with chicken wire stuff and cooked steak and 'chips' - this was fun, but you need to keep the heat up, I think we added small bits of wood to the fire so that it kept on going but not too high so the flames burnt the food.

We did try more of a bbq but found it difficult to keep the heat esp. as there is a big gap between bottom and top of bin. 

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Garden incinerator recipes?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:34:23 »
New Zealanders bury an animal (ready for cooking) in the hot stones of an open fire and leave it cooking for 12 - 24 hours.  I think that the base of the fire must have built up a fair bit of heat beforehand!  Then the pull meat out and eat it. I think they possibly cover it in foil.  They call it a "Hungi" or something like that.  They probably add potatoes etc but not cook them for so long!

Sounds very good idea to use the heat tho!

Old Bird

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal