Author Topic: 'Tis all Jeannine's fault....  (Read 3494 times)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: 'Tis all Jeannine's fault....
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 07:07:48 »
They do seem to take over don't they?

It has been a good year for gourd type plants.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:11:40 »
Wish my butternut looked like that. Havent got  a fruit on mine yet
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:03:20 »
I am dead chuffed - got 3 butternuts this year (a pale buff colour at the moment - are they ready to pick off to store yet?) and a number of smaller ones - about 4"-5" long (will they have long enough to mature and ripen?).  Have taken over another half plot for next year just so I can grow butternuts and may be one or two different squashes.  Got a giant one this year but sadly have to report that I only have 1 that is the size of a football and is bright orange - when will this be ready to pick?  Again, have several others growing - size: grapefruit. Will these have time to ripen and mature?  Going to try one of those that looks like it has been divided ready to slice like the one in ninnyscrops picture.
twinkletoes

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:06:56 »
Wow impressive,I have one big Turks Turban an d two tiny ones and a butternut that is giving me lots of beautiful leaves and nothing else.h it did have a flower that disappeared.Going to make more effort preparing the ground next year. :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:23:00 »
I am dead chuffed - got 3 butternuts this year (a pale buff colour at the moment - are they ready to pick off to store yet?) and a number of smaller ones - about 4"-5" long (will they have long enough to mature and ripen?).  Have taken over another half plot for next year just so I can grow butternuts and may be one or two different squashes.  Got a giant one this year but sadly have to report that I only have 1 that is the size of a football and is bright orange - when will this be ready to pick?  Again, have several others growing - size: grapefruit. Will these have time to ripen and mature?  Going to try one of those that looks like it has been divided ready to slice like the one in ninnyscrops picture.
twinkletoes

this is my third year growing butternut squashes and generally find that they do take longer to set fruit, though this year they started earlier and already have some large fruits, but in the last 2 years they normally didn't start setting till mid august, so i normally leave on the vines till the first frost forecast, and last year i went one better as the Indian summer days were so warm, at night i wrapped the individual fruits in a 2 / 3 sheets of newspaper in case of frost and unwrapped in the daytime so they could get the sunshine and warmth. i did this for at least two weeks till the days themselves were getting cold and the plant itself was definitely giving up the ghost. this year i might do the same if i have a few late setting fruits that i want to harvest.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:32:08 »
what are the ones in the third picture they look interesting, not seen or tried them

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 12:02:25 »
Now that is the kind of blame I am happy to get,well done, you have made a lovely job of growing them..... now what about the other 97 varieties I have... see you next year . XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 12:57:12 »
thanks thifasmom - feel happier now about leaving the butternuts.  Going on hols soon and wouldn't want to have found out I should have taken them off the vine before I go (get back 3rd week Sept). Also glad to see that if I am really lucky, I might just get more than 3  ;D ;D
Jeannine - when do I need to remove my pumpkin - is really is quite orange now but the leaves are still growing strong.
twinkletoes

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 13:40:33 »
Similar issue: is the skin turning matt the signal to harvest Uchiki Kuri?

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 14:15:46 »
shirl ive got no fruit yet either, suspect the slugs are to blame as they keep eating the baby pumpkins and yellow courgettes, seems if its yellow its gone! siigh! maybe next yr...
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 14:34:30 »
I've no butternuts either, and this is the second year trying.  I think next year I'm going to start them off a bit earlier (in bigger pots) and juggle them in my conservatory for a bit longer.  I think I've read somewhere that trailing varieties do better?  What are the successful peeps growing?  Mine are definitely bush and they are still all leaves! ???

It may not be helping that I don't feed them much as once the school hols begin I struggle to do more than just harvest everything with my kids?!  The plot always gets tidied up in September when school starts again.
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 15:26:13 »
Pippy I am growing Cobnut F1 butternuts. 
twinkletoes

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 15:41:41 »
Debster, they're vegetable (spaghetti) squash.  :)

pippy

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 15:46:01 »
Oh thanks for that Twinkle.  I'll look for cobnuts next year.  AND I'll start them 3 weeks earlier.  It'll be one of my 2009 challege veg I think.  Along with parsnips!

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 15:52:08 »
Start a new thread pippy - What's Your Challenge Veg for 2009?
twinkletoes

pippy

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 15:59:30 »
Tis done ... and now I'm commited !  :o :o ... and that's just the end of school holiday madness, not the veg!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 16:54:06 »
You can leave the pumpkin on the vine IF the vine is in good shape and still growing but if you are going away I would take  it and the squash  off.  It has been a very funny year and would not be surprised if frost starts early.They will continue to mature in storage. Leave them in the house when you go away rather than risk an early frost outside.They will cure in a cool place which is what I usually suggest due to space for most people but actually while  they are curing they can use a higher temp , it is only after they are cured that they need a cool place for long term storage.

Skin losing it's shine is an indication that summer squash is past it's best,same with aubs.

Once squash and pumpkin reach their size  the colour starts to change, the skin starts to harden, they won't grow any bigger after that so there is no point to leaving them out. If the weather was lovely and sunny then yes leave them as they will cure in the garden  but  not this year in most places I doubt.

For those who have immature fruit leave as long as you can, while the plant is healthy and green the fruit will get nourishment from it but once the plant starts to go or if it gets mildew it can't give anymore to the fruit.

Curing takes about 2-3 weeks by the way and it is after this time they should be kept cooler.

The colour will continue to change  a little in storage but not a lot until towards the end when they are starting to go off, the skin colour will change again and the rind will soften, you need to use them quickly then before they perish.

Also bear in mind that they do taste better after storing a while as the  starch turns to sugar so they get sweeter. I think this is one reason why the shop bought ones are not as good as they are not stored long enough.

Leave a length of stem on them.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

aussiedigger

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 18:20:44 »
Ninnyscrops - is the second picture a Queensland Blue?  If so, I am green with envy.  Roasted with lamb, mmmmm!

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 22:32:18 »
Hi aussiedigger, it sure is - courtesy of Cefer  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal