Author Topic: TOMATO BLIGHT!!  (Read 1895 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
TOMATO BLIGHT!!
« on: August 27, 2008, 12:54:14 »
I have just discovered tomato blight today :'( Are the green tomatoes that are uneffected be used or brought indoors to ripen ??

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: TOMATO BLIGHT!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 17:56:42 »
They'll be fine as long as they haven't got brown patches. Even if they do, you can still use them as long as you're quick.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 18:04:48 »
i had 18 plants ended up with about two dozen cos i turned my back for three days went right through the lot good luck id take them off put them in brown paer the large ones leave the small ones as long as you dare

good luck

we should re name toms blight toms

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 18:12:30 »
Thanks for your answers ~ i think I will get down there fast and remove the good ones ~~reading what others have said about the dreaded blight it takes hold fast

Duke

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 21:33:35 »
my toms have blight to,
at what stage can i put them in brown paper bags?

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 22:57:54 »
For the second year running the tomatoes in the GH became severely infected with blight. I have removed all the leaves showing any infection and have virtually defoliated many of the plants. Luckily the tomatoes appear OK and are ripening. However, on a daily basis any infected leaves and tomatoes are removed. This was very successful last year and I was picking tomatoes into November but this year the infection came in quicker and more severely so hopefully they will continue to ripen. 

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:38:09 »
 i would sugest to remove them as there big enough try an insectesidel solution on the plants to hold it back as much as possible .
i too tried to remove leaves at first but once its there you cant realy slow the process .
many facters this year added growing too many plants in a small space weather no screen on my windows or door to stop that rudy bug in the first place .
planting them too close to my spuds this year
ive sanatized the green house with insectasidel anty bacterial chemicals ,all pants have been burnt and disposed of all remnants as not to spread im going to give them a miss for next year to try and break the cycle of blight //never happen but one can try 

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:09:15 »
i am going away tommorrow and i am fighting plant,am worried if i leave them on the plant they wil be bad by the time i get bk but they are still green, if i take them of now, will they rippen or not?if someone could answer me asap would be great as i am of to allotment for last time until next weekend at lunch timke

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 09:32:55 »
I'm trying stripping all the leaves off and hanging the stems with the unripe fruit up in my shed to see if they will ripen.... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 09:49:22 »
Phil, in previous years I've ripened them off from green to luscious red between layers of newspaper in trays, stem-end side down in a single layer & not touching, and put the trays under a bed. Total success every time. I doubt if mine will be ripened by the time I go away on the 8/9 and I'll be doing the same again at that time (if the blight doesn't get to the plants first :(). Too much to lose by risking it, and my beefeater toms, although still green, are SUPERB this year 8)

Go for it! Good luck and have a lovely holiday,

Lishka

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 14:16:41 »
ive sanatized the green house with insectasidel anty bacterial chemicals ,all pants have been burnt and disposed of all remnants as not to spread im going to give them a miss for next year to try and break the cycle of blight //never happen but one can try 
:P

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 20:23:34 »
i have it, guess i didnt want to feel left out and now i dont  :'(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 20:41:40 »
Last year for the first time I grew a few tomato plants outside, they were wiped out by blight but greenhouse ones were OK. This year only 2 plants outside rest in greenhouse (not that I grow many) but so far all is well, probably fatal to be so optimistic :)

DAVIESFOZZIE

• Not So New ...
    • daviesfozzie
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 22:25:27 »
destroy them by burning or risk infection in you house they will rot and you may carry the infection onto next year

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal