Allotment Stuff > The Basics

STRAWBERRIES

(1/3) > >>

mellie:
I have just sown my first seeds ever!!! They are alpine strawberries. Does anyone have any idea if they need special soil or what sort of care I need to give them? I have just started at this even though I got my plot in August so I am very unsure of what to do. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks
Mel
;D

The gardener:
Have never grown them before, but I would guess there is a clue in the name  alpine

I would think they want well drained soil, and not too rich at that.

Perhaps some of the others know better.

Ragged Robin:
I've got some self-seeded in the middle of the flower-bed, they receive no care or attention and crop really well throughout the summer, much longer season than cultivars.

Piglet:
Hi Mel,

Congrats. for seed sowing, I dont think there that fussy.

I havent grown alpine strawberries from seed, but I had a plant in my garden.  I have VERY heavy clay soil - the really heavy soggy stuff in winter and earthquake affect in summer kind.  I dug the main plant up 2 yrs ago which cropped very well, and each year I have seedlings of it everywhere, i dont think they are that fussy (may have a preference for slightly acidic soil me being on clay - i dont know.  But mine keep coming!

My garden is south facing the alpine strawberries are on the left (east side) so shaded in the morning, sun as the day goes on and then sunset in the evening coming across from the west.  So not grown in the shade.

Hope this helps

Piglet.

Mrs Ava:
Hiya Mellie, and congrats on your seed sowing.  I have grown alpine strawbs from seed and can't admit to doing anything special.  I am a bit of a sower and leaver to it.  Germinated very quickly and have them dotted all around my garden and in pots, fab little blighter, fruited the first year and in my opinion, taste like strawbs really truly taste!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version