Author Topic: fizzy wine!  (Read 2128 times)

paddy

• Quarter Acre
fizzy wine!
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:03:03 »
Hi all

I made 2 kits about 2 months ago and the wine is lovely and clear and tastes good , however it has a  bit of fizz to it, so , is it safe to bottle  or is there anything i can do to stop it fizzing?
Or could i bottle it into plastic water bottles that have held sparkling water??

it is very frustrating looking at wine that i know i could drink!!

Paddy

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re: fizzy wine!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:37:21 »
 Hi Paddy,  :D
                     This is one of the joy`s of home wine making ;D Yeast is so microscopic  that we do not possess the ability to kill it off in the same way that the big boy`s do. If you have racked the wine a couple of times & added some sodium metabisulphite (camden tablets) It should be fairly stable, & not likely to fizz too much. It should be safe enough in glass wine bottles with screw caps. Most wine from supermarkets come in these nowadays so I assume you may have some of them? Plastic water bottles will be fine too, but only for a short time, glass is better.
 By the way, if you are using camden tablets, throw them away & make up a solution of metabisulphite using 2 oz, (50 grammes) & making this up to a pint with cold water.Leave to dissolve, then keep in a bottle tightly stoppered. Use a teaspoon of this when racking off your wines, DO NOT BREATHE IT IN, it has a very strong smell of sulphite. It will keep for ages & is a much better way of stabilizing your wine.

Adrian.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:43:31 »
I like mine fizzy, just watch out for the bottles going bang.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:58:36 »
If you don't need your wine to look professionally bottled and its fizzy you can use pop bottles, coke, lemonade etc.
Sterilized of course.

I wouldn't keep those for several years but they are ok for about a year. Red wine in pop bottles need protecting from light or the wine will change colour and look like dark tea.

paddy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 09:14:12 »
I bottled some into plastic carbonated water bottles and after one night in the fridge it had lost its fizz!    Tasted nice though!!

Paddy

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:23:16 »
Yeh the cold in the fridge killed the yeast which makes the bubbles.  :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 07:44:06 »
you can freeze yeast so the cold wont kill it, it might make it slow down
even soft, carbonated drinks seem to loose their fizz in the fridge.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 20:40:39 »
ask at your local pub or restaurant for their empties
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal