Author Topic: Rhubarb - to pick or leave (1st year)  (Read 1502 times)

Magnolia

• Half Acre
Rhubarb - to pick or leave (1st year)
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:12:40 »
I've read that you need to leave a rhubarb plant for a year after planting and not harvest any of the stalks.

Is this your understanding too?  It's just that my rhubarb is looking very tasty and is practically begging me to pick it. 

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Re: Rhubarb - to pick or leave (1st year)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 12:23:25 »
This subject puzzles me too.  Also, what about rhubarb that is more than a year old?  Mine is looking really lush but I don't know when you are meant to stop harvesting it.........!  Hopefully, someone will let us know the picking season for rhubarb and both our problems will be sorted.  ;D
twinkletoes

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 12:27:39 »
Magnolia I just looked at some old threads on this subject and it would appear that as long as you are enjoying it and it is not stringy - keep pulling it but never take every last stalks.
twinkletoes

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:29:45 »
I think the logic for not picking the first year is so that the crown builds up strength and fruits well thereafter. I don't pick rhubarb on established plants after July every year so the plant can build up for the next season. I grew some rhubarb from seed the year before last, didn't pick it last year although sorely tempted to do so as the leaves and stems looked a good size. This year the plants almost doubled in size! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

foresterone

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:36:00 »
I pulled some really excellent stalks of rhubarb which was only planted this year. I have never grown it before, but it made a superb crumble ! :D :D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 14:07:02 »
It's worth the wait you get a better stronger plant.

Magnolia

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 14:50:06 »
Thanks everyone.  Just been googling and apparently if you leave the new plant for a year it allows the root ball to grow nice and strong. 

I didn't know that its best not to pick after July - thanks.

I plan to force mine in the new year and see what happens.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:54:56 »
Just remember that forcing weakens the plant I think you then need to rest it a year after you might want to check that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal