Author Topic: Mini "greenhouse"  (Read 2551 times)

Noozan

• Not So New ...
Mini "greenhouse"
« on: August 11, 2004, 19:43:34 »
Hello All

Not sure where to post this but if any of you have a Poundstretcher near you; they are selling 3 tier mini greenhouses for £12!
Birdie, birdie in the sky, dropped a poopie in my eye.  I did not scream, I did not cry, I just thanked God that cows can't fly!

Cool Carrot

• Not So New ...
  • Eat Me !!  I Know You Want To !!
Re:Mini "greenhouse"
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 20:49:08 »
I bought one of them last year & it didn't even last the season. it was in a sheltered place but the wind kept getting hold of it & eventually it tore. So now I have commendered the Bar B Que & put some glass over it, that does the job too.

Regards
CC  ;D
And it's good by from the Cool Carrot.

mitzzy

• Quarter Acre
  • Organic goddess
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 20:56:47 »
I have had my mini green house for 4 years .  Once finished growing things in the summer ,I take it down and store it in shed .

No major damage has been done to it ,I put it in a shelter place in my small garden .

matter of luck

mags
new allotment owner excuse my ignorance !

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 21:17:38 »
We have had one of ours for three years and another for two years.  In the winter we lift them and put them inside the unheated g'house where they are used for dahlias, begonias and such giving added protection in case of deep frost.  right now onions and drying in them - hanging thru the wire shelving - ideal.  we find them invaluable.

Mind you we do place slabs in the base in case of strong wind.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 21:19:03 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 22:12:36 »
I bought a 6ftx4ft plastic greenhouse as our garden is so tiny, simply to hold a few tender exotic plants that didn't need heat, just frost protection. Unfortunately most turned to mush and I wasn't pleased. >:(

Roy :)

mellie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 16:38:45 »
I bought a 6'x3' one of those but it only lasted four weeks before the wind destroyed it and all the plants inside too. >:(
Probably ok for a sheltered spot but not for a south facing lottie on the shoreline in Portsmouth!
Hope you have better luck then I did.

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 16:49:18 »
I was thinking of getting one of these!!

Are they anygood for growing cuttings and putting in delicate outdoor plants throught the winter?? ???

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 17:27:35 »
I think they may be ok if you remember to open flaps daytime and close up at night because the plants get very clamp and dammy ::) and prone to rot. :o

Roy ;D

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 18:40:34 »
CLAMP AND DAMMY? lol  ;D  nice one...........Alan
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 18:41:23 by ALANG »
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 23:16:59 »
 ;D

Sarah V Bertram

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 15:57:51 »
I've had two and they are great. Little one needs new cover, bigger one was a Kwiksave offer - £12 last year. Its cover has ripped and not sure if I can find another to fit, but will use the shelving from inside, in the bigger greenhouse. Good idea for doubling up protection from Wicker. Yes you do have to be religious about opening them up cos they do get clamp and dammy very easily! I saw a superior one in Wyevale the other day which had vent things on the top. (Trying not to buy things there cos of the robins). I  keep a couple of house bricks in the bottom of my two, and yes a sheltered spot is needed. I think they are still good value even if you have to replace them every 2-3 years.

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 16:09:15 »
For the 6x4 size I found an awning tie down kit meant for camping solved the problem of the wind ripping covers ect.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal