Author Topic: caterpillars  (Read 3404 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: caterpillars
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 11:48:55 »
A silly reminder, but it saves a lot of hassle if you deal with the EGGS - BEFORE any damage is done. Much less effort.

And gloves for squishing? You still have to wash the gloves, so why not just your hands??

PS Yes - if you've been on holiday,my sympathy!!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 11:52:54 »
My caterpillars do not like nastariums, they prefer to eat my sprouts and PSB.  Could you have a word with them please.  I like the advice about spraying.  The ones I have netted look a bit better but think I have planted them too close together, were only tiny when planted but live and learn.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 12:16:19 »
I have nasturtiums - caterpillars eating those happily and I leave them too it as a bit of balance and diversity okay - just don't want them eating my crop.

I have squished eggs as well - both colonies and singles but you can't find everyone and the caterpillars grow big pretty quickly.

And gloves they are plastic coated and need no more than a wipe on the grass - my hands on the other hand take much longer to clean especially when stained by green gunk.

The lesson I have learn't this year - enviromesh works and next year not to be lazy and make sure i use it straight after my PSB is transplanted - thinking you can leave it a couple of days to save half an hour at the lottie is a false economy.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 12:51:49 »
I had masses of nasturtiums..but not anymore! disappointing as we like to eat them for salad...just stalks left!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 13:01:10 »
Which bits do you eat.  Never eaten nasturiums before, just grow them for the pretty flowers and meant to stop the dreaded horse tail, which doesn't work.

MaggiePage

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 17:07:25 »
Use Bug Clear Gun! For Fruit and Veg. New product for 2008 and uses a fast acting NATURAL insecticide!  Excellent for controlling caterpillars along with other pests.

visit : www.lovethegarden.com

MaggiePage

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 17:10:47 »

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 18:00:22 »
I eat the leaves but my boys were happily eating the flowers at the allotment because some of them were really hot and peppery. You can pickle the buds and use instead of capers.....I don't know if the seeds are nice to eat as well.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 00:19:57 »
It's not just your country over-run with them. We have never seen the tent caterpillars as bad as this year- they are even climbing up the porch screening and it is a second floor porch!
I decided not to knock them off figuring they might starve to death when they reach the roof.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 08:54:32 »
I noticed this year that the cabbage whites have laid their eggs on the mesh covering my brassica bed.  How sneaky is that.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

blythvalley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 09:11:15 »
Got back from 4 days away to find that the little blighters had munched their way through 12 PSB and 6 caulis.  Couldn't bare to squish them so knocked them to the ground and chopped them in half.  Will my plants recover?  I am planning to go on a netting hunt this evening to cover up the worst of the damage but don't know if they'll recover.  Any thoughts greatly appreciated  :)

pudding

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 11:59:44 »
I am a newbie devastated by the plague of caterpillars this year - have just removed most leaves from PSB and given loads of caterpilars and greens (both black and yellow and green slug-like caterpillars) to the chickens so someone's happy!  In spite of going out most days and squishing (eggs and wriggly things), sometimes two or three times.

Also have nasturtiums devstated by caterpillars - all parts are edible including seeds - flowers particularly nice mashed into cream cheese, leaves mixed with lollo rosso and rocket salad.  Chickens like these too  :(

Somewhere on one of the boards it says green garden netting will not protect from cabbage white moths etc - is this so?  I had planned to do this next year.  Also sowed carrots in a belfast sink as someone my husband met in a shop doorway during a rainstorm said this works for him lol!  Is this possible?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 21:11:08 »
We've lost 20 sprout plants and 18 kales.  I think we have seven sprout plants left.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH SQUISH SQUASH
The Tuscan Beaneater

essexsue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 21:22:03 »
HI all,
I am new to this forum - have had an allotment since last November and had a brill lot of veg this year HOWEVER caterpillars eating ALL my brussels and Cauliflowers... My dad told me that his Grandfather swore by putting dry soot around the greens on the plot - has anyone else heard of this as a solution ??

Sue

DAVIESFOZZIE

• Not So New ...
    • daviesfozzie
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 22:22:07 »
look i know they can be destuctive but all these species are under threat from farmers who use chemicals to kill off all insects good or evil try to remove them and relocate them to a wild area of just cover your crops wilth nets i have discovered grasshoppers on my allotment  and i will not use any kind of spray they all have a place in our lives as we havea place in affecting theirs and remember we would not be on this planet because of them

(a)ndy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 22:37:29 »
I have just got back from a week's holiday to find my brassica bed covered with caterpillars. Not just a few but hundreds, I have never seen anything like it.

Our bed has been covered with netting for months and I thought it would be relatively safe.

Our plants are almost stripped so I am going to let them finish the job before composting what it left. I had nasturtiums planted nearby as an alternative for the butterflies but they are covered in caterpillars and stripped too!

I want to learn from this and prevent the same from happening next year. Is there any netting recommended for next year? I will need it about 3 metres wide.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 01:03:58 »
Mine are the same, first year growing and all gone, stripped bare.

Nature works in strange ways, one minute we are told butterflies are rare now, and then they come back with a bang... maybe the weather has just played a major part with all the rain in the last few years!!!.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 08:27:51 »
i was admiring me newly sprouting rows of mixed salad leaves when..should they be moving like that?..on closer inspection...caterpillars!! :o :o
must get these specs changed...
caulies like shuttlecocks!lolol!same here....
the trouble is when you remove the little tinkers by hand they are quite sweet and furry... :-\

i still squishes 'em tho!! >:( >:(
if its not one thing its another!
kitty
xx
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal