Author Topic: Glyphosate  (Read 13573 times)

robbo

• Quarter Acre
Glyphosate
« on: August 24, 2008, 13:41:09 »
I need some glyphosate for a large area of weeds. I know round up contains it, but for what I need it for, it will cost a fortune. Is there anywhere I can buy pure glyphosate in bulk i.e. say 5 litres and dilute it down myself.

Robbo.
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Glyphosate
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 15:41:27 »
Where are you, rob? Down here we'd go to SCATS if we wanted a large amount of herbicide.

thegreatgardener

• Acre
Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 15:47:03 »
better  hurry! Glyphosate will banned from sale beginning in 2009.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 16:15:04 »
Try an agricultural/nursery merchant-much cheaper and the one I use doesn`t require a trade account

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 16:20:19 »
Some garden centres sell the larger containers of it, but hide it away from the roundup shelf.

forestry.guy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 17:53:31 »
Hi

As a pro user of glyphosate in the forestry industry we are not aware of any ban. the pesticide agency website does not mention it.

so the conclusion i have come to is that is is the the active ingredient but a off the shelf product which contains Glyphosate. From memory there are some 8 to 10 chemical companies making product and in some case the carrying agent that the glyphosate is in is more harmful than the Glyphosate so could well one of these being the route of the problem.

But I could be wrong so if someone can point me to the details it would be a great help

Sawman
This is my first year with the allotment.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 20:07:56 »
SAWMAN
I think someone has got confused with derris, the only thing I have seen is that the price of glysophate is likely to rocket due to the increase in price of rock phosphate

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 21:24:20 »
   Hi robbo,   earlier this year Wilkingsons were selling 1 litre of Glysophate concentrate for £7.99. Thats the cheapest I've been able to find.

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 23:15:20 »
Tesco also sell a glyphosate concentrate which works out cheaper than Roundup. There are several brands on sale, but you have to compare the dosage rates/litre to Roundup to see if they are really cheaper.

You can make it more effective, and need less to him the target, by adding washing up liquid to the sprayer, along with some vegetable oil, and giving a good shake now and then.
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 23:34:29 »
I've just bought a shed load of it from Wilkos.

Roundup was about £18 and wilkos was £6.

Same stuff too. :)

-------------------------------------------
I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !
-------------------------------------------

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 14:15:25 »
vegmandan you get what you pay for if you read the small print on the packets you'll find the wilkos one is more dilute/less active ingredient than the Roundup. I looked at the Wilko's one myself then bought a more expensive one with more active ingredient...while it's easy to dilute it there is no way you can make it stronger.

Ban on Glyphosate, rubbish! It's the most widely used herbicide in the world.

MaggiePage

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 17:02:27 »
I would use Roundup Ultra 3000. The normal Roundup GC ina 1 litre concentrate bottle makes up 1000 sq m worth of product and costs about £30. 1 litre of Ultra 3000 covers 3000 sq m and costs about £40.

Better value for money.    ;)   

If you go to www.lovethegarden.com you can find more info. Not a bad website, also has a good forum!!!

:-* :o ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 17:12:54 »
That's what I bought last time, Maggie, and I've hardly used any of it in 2 years. It's very strong for domestic use. You need a tiny amount for "normal" coverage - which of course is what people should try first... All I get left is the odd bit of bramble, nettle, creeping buttercup or bindweed which is easily removed when digging.

MaggiePage

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 17:19:57 »
even better value then if £40 has lasted you that long!! It does not have a shelf life either as long as it is stored correctly and not stored after being diluted. I have also used the Roundup Super Concentrate Tree stump and Root killer to get rid of my Japenese Knotweed.... worked a treat!!  :D

http://www.lovethegarden.com/products/weedcontrol/rounduptreeroot.html

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 18:25:09 »
I would use Roundup Ultra 3000. The normal Roundup GC ina 1 litre concentrate bottle makes up 1000 sq m worth of product and costs about £30. 1 litre of Ultra 3000 covers 3000 sq m and costs about £40.

If you go to www.lovethegarden.com you can find more info. Not a bad website, also has a good forum!!!

And your connection with the Scotts MiracleGro company is ...?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 08:12:43 »

And your connection with the Scotts MiracleGro company is ...?

She's the big bad boss!

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 08:39:30 »
www.plantmenow.co.uk are selling glyphosate concertrate for £12.99 a litre

well wereo nthis subject i thought what i heard was there is talk of banning this product as its now believed to be more harmfull than the origanal tests proved as they now believe it be more systemic than previouslly thought correct me if im wrong isnt there somwhere on this site was a thread from somone who was very pasionate about us not using it

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 08:40:54 »
sorry wee we are talking about this subject (spelling )

its my batteries in the keyboard again honest

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 09:23:38 »
The price certainly has rocketed!  This is what I bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320290804293

But last year the price was around £70 for 5 litres including delivery.  Now it's £93.50!

But it treats a whole hectare, so if you can stump up the initial investment, it's very economical.

robbo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 11:08:02 »
Thank you everyone for your input and advice. I have found a site that sells glyphosate concentrate and have 6 ltrs on its way to me now, £75 with postage, but if it helps with my Japanese Knot-weed problem, it's money well spent.
http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/cgi-bin/site-editor.pl/14/-ecommerce?action=item;item=WK019%2d6;eid=556273

Robbo.
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal