Author Topic: What next?  (Read 1644 times)

samela

• Not So New ...
What next?
« on: August 21, 2008, 21:52:36 »
Hi All,

Me again, and as usual I need help..... With my Allotment amongst other things...

Anyway, my plot is now 3 months old and I have 15 different types of fruit and veg happily growing away.  The thing is, I'm not sure what I can grow over the winter and what I can plant now.  I've been reading a few books but they are just confusing me. 

Also, I have a blueberry bush and some autumn raspberry's in the garden that I'd like to move to the allotment.  Will this be possible? or should I just leave them where they are and buy some more for the lottie?

I have 5 empty beds to fill and a young family to feed so I'd like to make the most of them.

Thanks all for your continuing help and fab advice.

Sam

oakmore2

• Half Acre
  • Rabbit surveillance officer
Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 22:01:19 »
Hi Samela

WOW!! It sounds as though you've done so much in such a short time. Well done you. I've had my plot since June but haven't achieved anything like you. I'm very impressed!!

Can't help much on your questions, I'm new to all this so sorry not to be more help. I'm sure someone more knowledgab;e will be along soon....

;D

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 10:00:58 »
Samela
Here's a few things you can start off now and in the next few months:

Now - Broccoli Raab, Coriander, Rocket, Pak Choy, Mizuma (there are several more 'oriental' greens). All easy to grow and fast. If you have a cloche you can grow these well into the winter with successional sowings.

September- Spring cabbage (like Durham Early)
October - over wintering onion & shallot sets
November - Garlic

If the soil is free-draining all should do well.

Good luck!
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 20:19:13 »
transplant some raspberry shoots in november.dont buy if you can help it!!!thats the whole ethos for me.......call me tight if you like but save seed ,borrow,scrounge,visit recycling sites like freecycle,skip dip,and never throw something away untill you think*I could use that down my lottie*
My parents were brought up in the war years and i think their conservative attitudes to waste has rubbed of on me.
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 01:37:40 »
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 14:42:36 »
I wouldn't try moving the whole blueberry bush if I were you as you may lose the whole thing if it doesn't like being disturbed. Instead, try taking a few cuttings from it in autumn and see if they take. Raspberry canes will probably travel better, especially as they spread every year so you can lift some of the new growth and leave the rest where it is.

The things that I find that overwinter best are overwintering onions and garlic, planted straight into the ground and Aquadulce broad beans, which I start off in pots and plant out when they are a couple of inches high. You can plant them directly into the ground if you want but run the risk of mice and other creatures getting to them first.  Leave a bit of space between your onions and in spring plant your carrots in between the onion rows. By the time the carrots grow through the onions will deter carrot fly.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 16:08:21 »
skip dip

i have googled it but can't find anything please enlighten me of the site you mentioned/ is it just the action of going through the skips you were talking about.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 21:15:56 »
Overwintering White Lisbon Spring Onions (Winter Hardy) can be sown up until the end of September,  Winter Lettuce  can be sown right up until mid November.

Both can be purchased here:
http://www.kingsseeds.com/
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal