Author Topic: New Scarecrow competition - Leicestershire  (Read 2469 times)

ODD

• Not So New ...
New Scarecrow competition - Leicestershire
« on: July 07, 2008, 15:47:14 »
We are a new society and are organising our  first Scarecrow competition  in August as part of National Allotment week.
Although the competition is intended  to encourage residents of Ellistown to make scarecrows and place them in prominent positions in gardens around the village we are also asking others enter by  bringing and displaying their scarecrows  at the Ellistown Midland Road allotment site.  Closing date for entries: Friday 15th August but earlier entries would be appreciated as we want to produce a scarecrow map of the village.
 Scarecrows will be judged Saturday 16th August  with prizes being awarded will be awarded at 3pm at the Allotments during the afternoon as part of our Open day. We want to make a success of this event and ask for the support of fellow allotment gardeners. Further details are on our web site at http://eags.bravehost.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: New Scarecrow competition - Leicestershire
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 17:21:15 »
Hiya, odd, welcome to the site  ;D
sounds like a lovely idea, too far for us, I'm afraid but I'd love to see pictures, I really like scarecrows  ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:00:37 »
Welcome to A4A Odd :D.

Your web site is coming up as an error? Maybe you typed something in wrong. It sounds a lovely day out, good luck. I hope the weather is kind to you ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 18:43:42 »
Great idea Odd but too far for me as well but would love to see some pictures as I am going to have one on my lottie but not quite sure how to make one.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 19:16:41 »
start by stuffing a set of overalls with straw, Kev!! ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 21:06:19 »
Living in the same part of the world like ODD you could not pick a better county for a Scarecrow competition, think I'll put miself in ;)

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
  • Whitwick/Thringstone, Leics
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 22:00:53 »
I'll have a look around.. I always enjoy the one at Heather just up the road from us both, as it were.
J.P.
Kill nothing, save it be helpful in death, or harmful in life! (Scartanore)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 22:12:07 »
Too far from me too but its a great idea.

ODD

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 08:59:06 »
Thanks to those who have offered encouragement with the competition. The entries are starting to come in so it looks as if the competition might work. It seems as if a good percentage of plot holders will be joining in which is helping to bring us together.
We are also running a "most original plot number" competition with visitors to the site acting as judges.
It is also rumoured that the working mens club are having a scarecrow in their car park and will be open to visitors! who need a cup or glass of something to help them face the 'crows.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 21:52:04 »
Had a look at your scarecrow comp piccies - brilliant!  :) You certainly have some creative and skilful individuals in Ellistown. I also note from your website you run a seed swap in the spring. You will have to post a reminder for 2009 as I would love to come across to Ellistown to take part.

Well done again on the scarecrow comp.  ;)

ODD

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 10:51:58 »
Just to give you an update on our scarecrow event and to say that there are photos of all 40 entries on our society web site www.eags.bravehost.com.   We linked the competition with an Open day as part of national allotment week and about two hundred visitors. It seemed  to go down very well with the "normal" villages and has certainly helped promote the allotment as a comumity resource.  We have now been asked to help the scouts develop a plot next to the scout hut.
It seems a god way to promote the lotte at insignicant cost.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 22:05:22 »
very good !! funny we stopped in a village near Minehead and there were scarecrows in every garden1 I,v wanted to make one for years,shall have to do it now to get into fashion :D
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 20:17:43 »
ODD,
           there is a Scarecrow weekend coming up at Hickling in a couple of weeks which is just off the A606/A46 :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal