Author Topic: What have I let myself in for?  (Read 7380 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: What have I let myself in for?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 14:10:03 »
Sorry Scooby

Senile dementia marches on!!  No you signed one of the above saying thanks Katie and I assumed you were Katie! Doh!

Silly old bag I am sometimes!

Old Bird

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 17:05:26 »
No worries hun, the dementia can't be that bad...atleast ya remembered you'd posted on here  ;) ;) ;D

Scoobs
I can spell...I just prefer to type like I talk ;-) If ya need lessons in Scouse gimme a shout

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 22:13:17 »
It's easy to get disheartened and think that ur not gettin anywhere when there's so much to do. I'm glad I've taken photos of the progress made coz it gives me a little boost. All I feel like I've done for 3 weeks is go to work, go to the allotment and go home to sleep. Plus the weather hasn't helped recently. Why does it always chuck it down on ur days off?  >:(

I look at the first the photos and think...well the tree's gone thanks to Shaun-"Ma can ya put the kettle on" one or my plot neighbours.
Then there's the second pic with most of it now cleared.

The next three show how high and thick the brambles were an make me feel sorry for the person that takes on the plot behind. The curbs in the pics housed a greenhouse that had collapsed. So all the wood's piled up and the glass has found it's way to the skip.

The last one ya can just see where I've started to get the crowns of the brambles out.

Think I'll give meself a pat on the back  ;)

Cheers
                                  Scoobs
I can spell...I just prefer to type like I talk ;-) If ya need lessons in Scouse gimme a shout

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 22:20:58 »
Wow :o in three weeks you did all that and with bad weather, crikey can i keep you ;). Really you have done magnificently, but you don't need me to tell you that, can't wait to see your veges next year.

And another thing, that is a plot behind you :o god forbid I ever get anything like that. Then again like I said can I keep you. :D

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 22:30:44 »
Awwwwwwwwwwww shuks...ur makin me blush thifasmum  :-[  ;) an I bet uv never been asked wot thifasmum means! Think I need to find someone to keep me lol. That plot behind is exactly the same as mine was...it makes me cringe now!

Scoobs

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 22:34:17 »
just can't believe the difference, it's amazing, keep up with the pictures, looking forward to the next instalment  ;D

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 22:40:36 »
Yeah I will Manics....til ya all get bored wiv me  ;)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 22:51:34 »
Scoobs,

You've made crakin progress there fella. I had a similar plight - 7 foot high weeds back in January but getting them under control now. Get as much covered as soon as you can, its simply amazing how quickly the nettles etc can grow - the sheer speed is incredible - if only the veg grew as quick!

Great how it changes your life though - I'm thinking about the lotty most of the time and can't pass a skip without having a nosey in - proper skip rat!...

Here's a before and after of mine so far..

Anyhow, keep up the good work!
Sheddie
 ;D
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 22:59:00 »
Wow Sheddie...OMG I saw the pic wivout readin the text first and thought it was a motorway embankment or somethin!!!! Then managed to scroll down to the second pic. I hope av done as much in the amount of time uv been at it. Thanks for the advice.

Scoobs ;)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 23:19:58 »
heh heh! - yup, I'm just far enough away from the A69 that I don't quite get the deisel fumes!

I take it you didn't come across any jap soldiers then?! - I had the bottom half of a wellie sticking up out of the ground that I was afraid to touch for 3 months - was sure the last plotholder was on the end of it....

I inherited two rotten sheds - one had two optics in it! - sadly, no booze though...apparently the last guy used to get that drunk that he often slept in the shed - they used to call it the 'Gardener's arms'!

All good fun - I'm still realistic about the plot though - looks much better of course, but it'll probably take a few seasons to get it pulled round properly
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 00:17:33 »
Hi scoobysnax
Love your name, I used to get laughed at in work for eating what everyone called scoobysnax  ;) It was the talk of the canteen every day what would I have in my piecebox  ;D ;D ;D
   Anyway, welcome to A4A, you'll find that whatever question you have someone here will know the answer. (I did  :))
  See that wee shed of yours.....it's a fix it upper  ;)
And the greenhouse base..... it's a good start.  That's all I have and big plans.
   I've managed to murder everything I touched this year  :( but plan to get my act together next year, with the help of horse manure and black plastic ;D ;D ;D
  Your doing great, keep it up. ;)
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 01:24:20 »
Awwwwwwwwwwww shuks...ur makin me blush thifasmum  :-[  ;) an I bet uv never been asked wot thifasmum means! Think I need to find someone to keep me lol. That plot behind is exactly the same as mine was...it makes me cringe now!

Scoobs

thifasmom stands for my oldest kid's nickname and the fact that i'm her Mom. I told my husband that i plan to add a new man to the fold, showed him your pics he was impressed, but told me i cant bring you home :'(, ah well it was worth a try ;). happy allotmenting.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 09:29:16 »
Great before and after pics Sheddie, at first glance I thought you had made a swimming pool as well! 8)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

laura G

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2008, 18:35:21 »
So glad i wasnt the only one Deb p  :-[

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:28 »
I was just wondering how the plot was coming around, any new pics or developments.

scoobysnax

• Not So New ...
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 23:33:26 »
Av been on 2 weeks of nights  :( so not been able to get much done, should be able to get back more to normal now though. The old shed's been pulled down (well it didn't take much for it to collapse!) I'd bought a 2nd hand one to put in place but the floor fell away from it just as it was bein lifted into place  >:( :'( Think i'll probably just buy a nice metal one and be done with it...only because me dad's offered to buy one for us...couldn't believe me luck! Hopefully depending on the weather I should be able to make some progress this week.

Scoobs

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 18:07:24 »
Hi Scoobs and welcome, shame about the shed it was my favourite bit, still enter it in one of the gallery competions I'm sure you'll be on to a winner.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal