Author Topic: Montbretia/Crocosmia  (Read 8876 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: Montbretia/Crocosmia
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 22:23:08 »
Paulines7, you are not alone! Two things I've always had trouble with are Montbretia and Lily of the Valley, and I've only managed to grow LOV recently from plants given to me 'in the green'.

Another plant I can kill with a single glance is ivy.

;D

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 23:11:18 »
Amazin pop over and sweep my garden with a glance please  ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 23:36:57 »
Gladly!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 09:31:58 »
Just as a warning to those of you who want crocosmia/montbretia to spread, just be carefull what you wish for. I am working in a garden at the moment where there is crocosmia growing absolutely everywhere. In this situation they are a weed and you have to get every single corm out or it will return. This is not as easy as it might seem. The garden also has lots of ground elder and it is a close call as to whats harder to remove IMO!

Mr_Crocosmia

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 21:34:55 »
Not all crocosmia spreads though, only that nasty orange one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most just grow into nice litle clumps.........

Mark

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 09:19:14 »
Not all crocosmia spreads though, only that nasty orange one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most just grow into nice litle clumps.........

Mark

I quite like the orange flowers on that one. It is its ambitions for global domination thats the problem!!

In some ways i wish some of the nice flowered types would spread just a little bit to produce decent groups. I have one called 'Citronella' which even though i split it last autumn has grown very little since it was planted in the garden. If only it had just a tiny bit of its cousins spreading ability then i would be happy.

Mr_Crocosmia

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 09:43:41 »
Citronella should be one that grows quite well.......... it has pottsii in it so needs to be kept quite damp while growing and needs feeding well.

I am trying to get all these small yellow flowered crocosmia grouped into one type... probably called Citronella Form...
It will include such cultivars as citronella, mount usher, sulphuria, honey bells etc etc

should be interesting

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 17:39:38 »
Citronella should be one that grows quite well.......... it has pottsii in it so needs to be kept quite damp while growing and needs feeding well.

I am trying to get all these small yellow flowered crocosmia grouped into one type... probably called Citronella Form...
It will include such cultivars as citronella, mount usher, sulphuria, honey bells etc etc

should be interesting

I have my 'Citronella' planted in a sloping sunny border. I moved it there only last autumn from a cool shady bed at the top of the garden. It was growing fine there but not flowering so decided to move it and divide it at the same time as it seemed to be a bit overcrowded. It replaced a more vigorous red form that had grown too big. Did I do the wrong thing? Would it be better back in a cooler, more shaded spot?

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 15:56:23 »
Oh no.... I have inherited loads of these in this garden.   I want to keep some but it sounds like I am going to have a job on my hands getting rid of the bulk of them !!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 18:23:11 »
Just dug out a load from a client's garden this week. About 1.5- 2 square metres of solidly packed corms. Hard work but not as difficult as some weeds to remove.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 18:50:02 »
Welcome to the site Hosta!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal