Author Topic: Problem with Hydrangea  (Read 1154 times)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Problem with Hydrangea
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:20:33 »
I have a number of hydrangeas that have always flowered well.  However this year two have not produced a single flower, I am not aware of doing anything differently, some are ok and these two are sulking anyone any idea as to why and what to do to return them to full flowering next year?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Problem with Hydrangea
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:58:17 »
Same here.  I only have 2 - one has flowered well and the other nothing at all.  The plant looks otherwise healthy.  I was just putting it down to the rotten weather.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:56:13 »
H. x hortensis flowers on wood produced last year, so if it is damaged byt cold winds or frost then you lose the flowers. We have only had flowers on them twice in 12 years here. Gradually replacng them with H. paniculata and H arborescens types.
H. x hortensis (the macrophylla types in pinks, reds and blues) do not need any pruning at all, or you run the risk of removing next years flowers.
Gardening is the great leveller.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 23:01:10 »
My established hydrangeas have been awful this year. They are all looking distinctly sorry for themselves. Thy are all macrophylla. There is one  new one that I was given a year ago that is covered with blossom, so I was wondering if there is a nutrient problem with the others? None pruned and all protected from frost.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal