Author Topic: greenhouse footings  (Read 9993 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
greenhouse footings
« on: August 04, 2008, 23:29:19 »
Our new 8x10 will be arriving soon, but we are unsure on how to build a decent footing for the greenhouse. Do we go with flags around the perimeter or is building a concreted brick edging worth the difference in cost? This is at not on the allotment so we have no limitations in terms of building foundations. The ground is very solid as it is a site of a previous shed.

Sparkly

• Hectare
Re: greenhouse footings
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 23:33:21 »
Our greenhouse comes with an integrated base...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 00:03:31 by Sparkly »

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 00:15:31 »
I screwed mine on to a concrete block base.

It gave me an extra 6" of height - stops me banging my head on the glass roof.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 10:23:38 »
Mine has steel pegs along the outside ridges.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

medicinejack

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 14:33:10 »
I used railway sleepers for my new greenhouse. Seems good (so far).

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 14:50:50 »
SPARKLY, Its what  is available to you and the work you want to put into it. A few people have taken short cuts in putting up a greenhouse and the winds have been unkind and taken it back down for them.
My greenhouses are all on a breeze block base and secured by screw in type bolts.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:19:55 »
I poured a 9" wide by 4" deep concrete ring onto which I set 1 course of engineering bricks. The greenhouse is then clamped down to this using homemade clips - it means the screws are horizontal in the bricks not vertical so they have greater structural strength.
Pouring a base or setting on sleepers means you can get the greenhouse level.

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 22:41:38 »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I haven't been online much for the last few days as we have been doing a real groundforce job inthe garden. We have filled 2 skips, taken down 2 trees, an old shed and removed a raised bed that was about 14ft x 6ft and used this soil to level an area bout 12ft x 30ft, then had a new shed put in and tidied the rest of the garden! Anyway off topic! I think we will be going for a concrete ring in hope that this is the easiest way to get a level surface for bolting the greenhouse down.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 23:57:22 »
When I poured my footings I shuttered the inside and outside with 4X2. If you get these level and secure you pour the concrete between them, tamp down, then, card off using another short length of timber.
As with anything all the hard work is in the preparation.
All the best with your pouring.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 12:14:28 »
Used concrete fence posts under mine.  Had some strong winds and it is still up.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 13:52:10 »
I have used something that I think is called Dexion. It is used for industrila shelving. It is an L-section metal bar which has holdes which are used for bolting shelves onto.

I saw this up into sections about 18 long and sledge hammer them into the ground. I then tie these onto the green house. These things are VERY difficult to get out of the ground once they are in and they seem to hold the green house down.

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 12:24:41 »
Our concrete blocks for the base arrived this morning and, all I can say, is that they are heavy! I carried them from the front yard through the house. Hopefully will have the base level today so I can put the greenhouse frame up tommorrow!

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 09:39:53 »
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qHKPzDEdq6c/SLEcgP413aI/AAAAAAAAAVE/-GGXxXdT0OU/s1600-h/greenhouse.jpg

Our new greenhouse. Have put the tomatoes in pots in there. They are looking very neglected at the moment, but have alot of fruit so I am hoping they pick up. All that is left to do now is to put some decking down inbetween the greenhouse and shed where the temporary slabs are.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 10:58:27 »
When I poured my footings I shuttered the inside and outside with 4X2. If you get these level and secure you pour the concrete between them, tamp down, then, card off using another short length of timber.
As with anything all the hard work is in the preparation.
All the best with your pouring.
This is exactly how I did my latest one. It's not budged an inch, and with a path down the middle it's good. I might have been better with an extra course of bricks for that bit more height but I'm only little anyway.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal