Author Topic: free small mammal manure in kent  (Read 4855 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
free small mammal manure in kent
« on: August 17, 2008, 18:21:24 »
Hello everyone just wanted to pass on this info. Well most of us know of the contaminated manure problems plaguing us growers. Well I decided to try and source some safe stuff through freecycle.

This is what I posted on my local freecycle site:

Hi everyone, first I'll give a little background info.
2 years ago a weedicide aminopyralid was introduced to the agricultural
environment in the UK with disastrous results in particular to
gardeners and allotmenters due to contamination of farmyard manure. Due
to the nature of its contamination it is a little difficult to source a
clean source of manure. And this is what I'm after.

So is it possible for any small mammal pet owners, such as hamster,
rabbits, etc, that use paper and non-straw bedding such as sawdust to
contact me if they would like to get rid of this waste in an
environmentally safe way. I have lots of empty compost bags that I am
happy to leave with you to fill at your leisure and I will collect when
ever they are full. To make it easier for us all I will initially
restrict it to a 5 mile radius in any direction from my home...

I just got a call from a lovely sounding lady living in the Rainham, Kent area who has 50 hutches (rabbit breeder) and has to throw away 10 sackfulls of droppings a week at the tip. She says she isn't allowed to put it into the green waste composting area and has to throw it in the household waste area  :o [and they want us to be greener  ::)] she doesnot use straw bedding but sawdust I think she said grade 2 type sawdust hmm  ??? I think that's what she said.

So woohoo for me and her as we both get what we want, I have asked her if she would like more takers and she said the more the merrier. I told her if I hear of others that want some I will pass on their numbers to her. So if you live in Kent near postcode ME8 or don't mind driving further for this stuff, let me know and I will pass on your number so that she can contact you.

She also says there are lots of other breeders up and down the country having difficulty getting their waste used environmentally, and some have to pay the council to dispose of it. So try contacting your local rabbit/ hamster breeder association for info on where you could source some hopefully safe manure.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: free small mammal manure in kent
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 18:51:13 »
Well done!  A good clean source of manure and keeping it out of landfill too.  Sounds like win/win!

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 21:46:34 »
i have had quite a few emails from other people wishing to give me their pets poo. i just can't see why they cant compost it in the green waste section at the tip. or why isn't there a section for this, i have asked them all if they don't already compost it, only one said yes, but happy to share, all the others say they haven't the space.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 22:37:53 »
My guinea pigs waste goes on my compost heap.  They eat a fair amount of the weeds that I get off there so it should be good nutritious stuff,
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 21:17:01 »
All sounds good , don`t wish to put a downer on things but I thought wood shavings etc could bring wire worm into the site.  Bark chippings will also carry it unless it is the right sort of wood etc.  Sorry to be a misery. :-[

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 21:21:02 »

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 23:03:04 »
All sounds good , don`t wish to put a downer on things but I thought wood shavings etc could bring wire worm into the site.  Bark chippings will also carry it unless it is the right sort of wood etc.  Sorry to be a misery. :-[

:o :o :o
I'd go with Bob anytime!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/fsheets/07_04_02/fsheetsq8.shtml

thanks for this article i almost screamed when I thought another good idea would have to be scraped :-\.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 19:56:05 »
I'm not aware of healthy domestic rabbit manure being a problem. Also sterilized wood shavings as bought from pet supply shops shouldn't carry bugs.
 I'd be tempted to give it time to break down before spreading tho. Maybe a layer of hen manure would heat it up nicely.
 Some gardeners say the gasses released from decaying wood has a detrimental effect on the soil. I suppose that would depend on quantity. Wood also takes quite some time to decay. Personally I'd stack it for a year and use it sparingly with other compost/manure. But I see nothing seriously wrong in putting manure back to where it came from!

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 10:11:55 »
I run a guinea pig rescue and produce about 9-10 sacks of muck a week !! way to much even for my big compost bins and i fill trenches up with it in winter for beans ect !!
People on the site have now twigged how good it is and how fast it heats up and we have no problem finding homes for it !!! we used to tip it and it is such a shame as it so high in nutrients, far higher than cow or horse !
No wireworm trouble on my plot !! ask at local rabbit shows if anyone has a surplus !!

longlad

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 00:34:11 »
and all this time I been throwing it silly a**e ::)
oh bugger its raining

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal