Author Topic: Advice on Manure  (Read 1626 times)

johno

• Not So New ...
Advice on Manure
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:03:49 »
I have just taken delivery of a lot of fresh manure and been told different things what to do with it by different plot holders some have said spread it about and use it like it is others have said mix it with straw or sawdust and others have said it needs to be left alone for up to 12 months before i use it any help with this would be a great help

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Advice on Manure
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 13:00:03 »
All are sensible solutions.. if you have some empty beds spread it on the top if not stack it and cover it...  :)

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 14:18:50 »
Depends what you call fresh if it is that fresh I would cover it and leave it for next year and look out for some well rotted manure as some fresh manures could still have insecticides or worming drugs(depending if they have been used on the livestock or land they graze on)that could harm your plants or worms  not to mention seeds that pass through the animals,as Saddad said all good advise but at the end of the day you have to weigh up all the advise and choose which way you wanna go as we all end up with a cabbage but we all don't do it the same  ??? :-\
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 18:54:51 »
You should cover it up and leave to rot down for at least 12 months. Buster is correct about the worming products and that will affect the earthworms on the plot...I've already posted on this subject a couple of months ago.

In addition fresh manure is dangerous and there are warnings in place regarding bacteria such as campylobacter, Staphylococcus, salmonella etc from DEFRA recommending leaving it for 12 months for health and safety reasons.....unless you fancy some of those in your salad.

scarecrow941

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 20:31:15 »
what do you mean fresh as in just dropped out of the back of animal or fresh in that you just got it  and it been sitting in a farm yard for months heating up and what animal did it come out of
aging scarecrow

johno

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 19:25:11 »
Thanks some great advice and help from you all it is horse manure and i get it of a neighbour who keeps horses

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 05:35:10 »
Spread it ver your plot where you are going to plant your spuds and let the weather and the worms take it in over winter this will mellow it, then dig your ground and plant your spuds.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 09:18:47 »
JOHNO, You have been given some sound advice by by Kea, Buster And Saddad.

Any manure you receive at this present time with straw in it MUST be left to rot down till all the straw has disintergrated, it makes no difference wheather it comes from the farmer or the stable next door, the source and the treatment of the straw is still the same.  Until what the farmers are spraying and treating straw with is resolved you don,t have options.
I have experienced what affect it has on tomatoes and potatoes and its not good.

To be honest anyone advising you to put it straight on the ground in my opinion is giving you bad advice.

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:25:58 »
Thanks some great advice and help from you all it is horse manure and i get it of a neighbour who keeps horses

don't forget to check out if the hay that has been fed to the horses or the straw they bed on has been sprayed with the now pulled from the shelves weedicide aminopyralid, as this will probably persist in your soil and affect/ or kill next years crops.

see this link/ google for more info on the topic:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,43062.0.html

see this post for a possible alternative:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,44865.0.html

johno

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:49:47 »
The Manure has no straw in it as the horses owner collects the Manure straight from the field they are kept in and drops it of at my allotment for me

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 12:08:32 »
well if it is grass only manure from a non sprayed Field, then you are lucky that's like gold dust these days. just store it for awhile till it is well rotted then spread on your beds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal