Author Topic: What do I need - is this everything?  (Read 2017 times)

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
What do I need - is this everything?
« on: August 14, 2008, 18:50:35 »
Okay we have the chicken coop, we're getting the chicks on 6th September and I'm making a list of things to buy this weekend.  Have I missed anything:

Layers mash
Drinking thing
Food thing
Purple spray for sore bits (what is this called?)
Apple cider vinegar
grit (is this oyster grit or something else?)
Red mite dust (or do I just get this if I need it - I want to be prepared as these are ex batts)
Jeyes or poultry disinfectant
Sawdust (although I've got some auboise that I thought I'd use first)

Have I missed anything?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: What do I need - is this everything?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 22:44:19 »
Lice powder for nest boxes and sprinkled on wood shavings etc. each time you change it.
I get mixed grit, oyster shell good for egg shells and plain grit good for their digestive system.
The purple stuff G. Violet is for hiding the blood on cuts. I use vicks vapor rub it heals up cuts and hens will only peck it once and leave it alone a old poultry keeper told me about it and it works just keep away from the face.
When you get them ask if they have been treated for worms and red mite some do.
So much fun in the planning stage.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:10:57 »
You missed out the 20 hours a week needed to just stand and watch them  ;)
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 11:55:44 »
Maybe a porcelain egg (or golf ball even) to pop in the nest box, gives them the hint where to lay.

Kingfisher

• Half Acre
  • My Allotment
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 00:36:37 »
I dont know what the purple spray is either but you might want to get some tea tree oil from boots and put 5 drops in a litre of water and spray thier legs and feet , it works magic on killing lice and is only about 3 quid for a bottle that will last for ages , NOTE! do NOT apply neat to anything, it is very powerful and MUST be diluted!

Check the birds for clean smooth scales on thier legs! if raised and lumpy dont buy them . Clean bright eyes and no runny tears too.

I think you got it covered other than being prepared for them stealing your heart and making you laff with so many daft things they do, if you eat in the garden in good weather (ha ha ) lay a place for them , I have given up trying to eat without them nicking a bit of my bacon sarnies!!

Good luck and enjoy them , oh you will I garantee it !! give it a week and you'll want more !  ;D

Kingfisher

• Half Acre
  • My Allotment
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 21:26:01 »
Oh one more thing, I see you listed  sawdust, woodshavings are better as sawdust will go all claggy and stick to the birds and shavings are better for them to make a likkle nest with too  ;)

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 18:35:22 »
How about lots of spare egg boxes.....??

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal