Author Topic: Selling allotment produce  (Read 11185 times)

keef

• Hectare
Selling allotment produce
« on: August 13, 2008, 22:44:16 »
I've just found out that the PC in the next village have passed a rule preventing allotment holders from selling thier produce - unless its for raising funds for the allotment. Are they allowed to do this ?

Does'nt effect me, but i'd be interest to know what people think...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Selling allotment produce
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 22:47:01 »
Doesn't affect me, either, Keef, but that's what I've always understood too.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 22:54:44 »
You will find that rules differ all around the country.

There is nothing in the rules for my plot that says I cannot sell surplus veg.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 23:06:15 »
Our allotment rules say for personal consumption only, and must admit with my two small plots, can just about make it round to next season with some frozen stuff.

Give away some surplus to neighbours and friends that I can't freeze.

Nice when they reciprocate with a Tiramisu dessert though  ;)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 23:13:12 »
isn't here some way of selling a 'cardboard box', which just happens to have veg in it.

If you know what I mean, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 23:49:40 »
Our allotment rules say for personal consumption only,

Our rules are the same.  It is for non profitable enjoyment.  Some people sell bits and bobs,  or rather "accept a small donation" ;) ;).  Just enough to buy a packet of seeds or the next bag of compost.  I sell my surplus eggs from my hens.  (The feed is not free).
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 07:05:56 »
I used to take my surplus to work and give it to a fellow workmate.

The workmate sold the produce and brought me some cash.

Almost certainly all of it, after taking first pick and contributing too. People were glad to get fresh vegetables cheaply and I felt better for not having waste.

I would think that it would be hard for any one to make a worthwhile profit from growing on an allotment.

Sounds to me like there is some one out there with nothing to do who wants to make it look like they are doing something..AGAIN

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 09:27:08 »
So long as you dont intend making a living out of selling your produce then I doubt if there is much of a problem.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 13:23:31 »
Our Town council clerk is busy producing a new contract one of the new rules is:

" The Tenant may not carry on any trade or business from the allotment site, surplus produce may be sold as an ancillary to the provision of crops for family"

So we're not allowed to sell any produce unless it's surplus....in other words we can sell produce!
 ;D

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 14:41:07 »
Our allotment secretary flogs anything and everything to anyone who comes to the gate   !

How can they prove the stuff your selling hasn't been grown in your back garden and you consume all the allotment produce yourself ?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 15:18:06 »
Depends on if you live in a high rise block of flats may be difficult proving!

I, as you may have read on earlier threads, sell loads of stuff at my gateway!  We are not meant to but there is no way that I am going to waste anything that i have grown!!

I sell the stuff and say that it covers the cost of the seeds - obviously the chickens' eggs there is no way I could eat 6 dozen a week!  That would be a bit silly!!  So the committee must know but turn a blind eye.  But as their food costs a bit and I had to lay out a lot in buying their house and making their run - I think I am entitled!  One local restaurant was advertising that they "supported a local allotment keeper by buying his produce"  that got up some of the committees' noses as it was slightly rubbing it in - trouble is no-one knows who they are!

I have grown huge numbers of farty artichokes to sell this year - as they sell very well normally in the winter!  But again I will be using them myself and I would say that I needed a 10 foot high 6ft deep windbreak for my chooks!

Old Bird

;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 16:16:50 »
You're not exactly making a fortune though are you probably not even covering your costs of feed etc.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 19:00:50 »
If you're reasonably discreet, nobody's going to notice.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 19:20:13 »
Horses for courses I guess.  I am far from wealthy but I would never ever dream of selling any left over produce I have.  I grow for the pure joy of growing and whatever and however much I have over I just give away,  To be honest I would feel embarrassed if anyone ever offered me any money.

On our site it is not allowed anyway.

Sinbad

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 21:30:16 »
As far as I know we are not allowed to directly sell veg but you can certainly buy eggs off people. We also give surplus veg to s Surestart shop.

When we have our annual open day we sell produce.

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 21:54:37 »
I'm with Sinbad on this. Regardless that it's against the rules on our site, there are plenty of good neighbours who appreciate any surpluss and repay in other ways, for example feeding the cats when we are on holiday.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 09:24:03 »
It was written into the allotment acts that produce grown was for the consumption of the grower and His or Her family only.. It was to stop folks renting land/allotments at a peppercorn rent and treating them like market gardens . I think this act may have been amended for charitable purposes only ..
But am not sure.

Cheers .. Jim

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 10:12:02 »
I enjoy giving my surplus away, that is I have any.  I find people very grateful and next door also feeds my cats when I am away, and brings them takeaways of lovely chicken etc.  I have had one bottle of wine, 12 bags of crisps and sweets for the grandchildren which I accept gratefully but tell people that they won't get anymore veg. if they keep buying me things.  If I had loads and loads of lovely veg (perhaps next year) I would put them in a box outside the house with maybe a donation to charity. I would find it embarrassing to ask for money and will check my rule book.

lizagrowbag

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 10:21:43 »
ive not looked into it at all but when we took on our allotment i was told by the commitee that they are making a shop for holders to sell on  what they dont need

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 13:14:50 »
Our allotment secretary invited us all to take on a free table (businesses pay for their space) in the local "farmers' market" to sell our surplus.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal